Urgent help needed Urgent help needed need bbs for mandrin

Thanks for that info. I will give it a try.

Depends how cold the room is. My house is quite cold so a light does not heat the water up enough. I do not use a light at all.
Then use a 25L bucket with one or two holes to ventilate worked for me. will try to tank a pic.

You have to try isolate the mandiran by using a container of some sorts, then use your newly hatched brine shrimp to fatten him up. Whilst he's living off baby brine try feed him adult live brine shrimp, they normally always go for it... what worked for me was using a syringe. Use it for everything to do with feeding, he will associate it for food which makes the transition onto other frozen foods alot easier.

By keeping him in the container you will able to get him on several frozen foods as well as pellets/flake ect..

photo[2].JPG

Last edited:
I have started a new thread under the DIY forum to avoid hijacking this thread. I have posted a couple of pics.

Thank you irma, will try and start one with decapsulated eggs tomorrow I'm going away for the weekend and my parents will check in on my tank but there's no way they will be able to harvest and feed bbs so I'm getting stressed out about this

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

The BBS hatch last night/ early this morning but it seems they are to small and she is ignoring them? Al the other fish are going mental and that includes my percula clowns that are twice her size, I switched the flow pumps off distracted the other fish with some flake on the other side of the tank and used my turkey baster to put some shrimp right on her rock and she hasn't chowed yet

the mandarin will eat when she is hungry, the live food wont impact your water quality as much either. and the uneaten live bbs will only stay in the water untill they die, are eaten or are skimmed out, think of it as fast food chain there's always one close by.

@Dane..if you can get the Mysis to multiply please keep some for me

@Dane..if you can get the Mysis to multiply please keep some for me

Hey bud they don't multiply in captivity you basically have to go out and catch every time you need, and you can't maintain a culture for long

Hey bud they don't multiply in captivity you basically have to go out and catch every time you need, and you can't maintain a culture for long
@Dane G I'm sure they can multiply in captivity if fed well & kept in a cold environment.

@Dane G I'm sure they can multiply in captivity if fed well & kept in a cold environment.

I got permission to spill the beans I got the mysis from the two oceans aquarium, the fish biologist gave me the 101 on live foods and how to collect they can't even get the stiff to breed they have collectors go out every morning to replenish their stocks, you get them in any harbour like hout bay or table bay be on the lookout for box jellies mysis hang around them you can only catch early on the morning using a regular green fish net attached to a long pole, mysis can be enriched with BBS and then feed to fish they can even be frozen @ home @deadmeat thanks bud you are one stand up guy!

The secret is out! I am ruined! lol kidding, spread the word on the capture technique, its actually really easy. for the box jellies, a good sealed, preferably semi dry, wetsuit should keep you safe from them nematocysts. the net has to be big and the right fine'ness to trap the mysis.

Back
Top Bottom