Urgent help needed Deep in the brown stuff!

Reaction score
Yesterday we had a 6 hour power cut and my tank seemed to cope. All inmates seemed fine.

Today the power has been off since 02:00 this morning and JHB city power says it will only be back on at 14:00.

I am running a Boyu TL550 with very little livestock (One snail, 2 hermits and 2 clowns).

Can I just add those oxygen tablets that they use for goldfish bowls? I do not have time to go and buy battery pumps etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
that i dont know, but move this thread to the urgent help forum, they will respond quickeer..
you can also try aggitating the water a bit on the surface to help the gas exchange

you can also try aggitating the water a bit on the surface to help the gas exchange

Good idea.

Got my wife doing the whisk thing now in the tank.

Hope she doesnt turn the clowns into tuna salad :p

carefull whisk is metal :)

use a old plastic spoon or fork, also add a thread in the urgent forum and ask them to move this one there, will get better responses

crisis over, Power is back on. At least I know the tank can handle a ten hour power failure.

Still, I would like to know if those oxygen tablets used for fish bowls will work in a small volume tank.

a good investment is an inverter or pc ups, they are around R1000 or so and good for townhouses and flats

if u need more a 1kva or great and have a garden

all depends on what you running of it

When I get my big tank up and running, then I will invest in a generator.

Still anybody got info on the Oxygen pills?

whats on the ingrediets list?

guys on here or on sark there is a thread dealing with building a backup system with those batteries you use in alarms, in a test it ran a few items for like ten hours.

A short-term power outage is not so serious for a lightly stocked fish only tank such as yours, unless it is a very hot day. Colder water can hold more oxygen than warmer water, and of course, the more fish in the tank the quicker they will use up the oxygen. For a lightly stocked tank, just moving the surface water every 5-10 minutes should be enough to allow an adequate gas exchange to take place. If you have more fish then a more regular water movement will be needed...

The real problem comes in when you have sessile invertebrates, such as corals - these animals cannot swim or move to an area of the tank with a higher oxygen content. They use up the oxygen close to their bodies, and can actually suffocate in a tank that still has enough oxygen in the water to sustain fish life, but just further away from the corals. In this case one should have a continuous, strong enough water flow in the tank to cause water movement around every coral and other sessile invertebrate (such as clams, etc.) - in this case, a simple oxygen tablet will not really be of much use, as the O2 still needs to be moved to the corals, and waste products also needs to be moved away from them...

Hennie

crisis over, Power is back on. At least I know the tank can handle a ten hour power failure.

Still, I would like to know if those oxygen tablets used for fish bowls will work in a small volume tank.

kevin crisis might be over but its not gone. please look at getting power back up, if its just a nano a simple inverter system wont set you back much at all. Shaun has it spot on saying you need to look at back up power so as to avoide crisis, living in SA its a factor of marine fish keeping...right up there with putting food in the tank.

and for the record i didnt for ages and that ended in disaster for a larg number of tank mates:(

I see you aslo live in Honeydew and surrounds

One can use 15ml of a 30 percent hydrogen solution per 200 litres of water every eight hours. It breaks up into water and oxygen. One can also add a drop of the stuff to imported fish that have been in a bag for days to revive them.

Back
Top Bottom