Urgent help needed urgent help copper wire

Joined
2 Jun 2015
Posts
131
Reaction score
22
Location
johannesburg
Last year my return pump short circuited under water wire burnt out . All corals closed up lost most of them some recovered over time took a long time and tank was doing well again . Guessing its a copper issue since wire became bare under water prob caused some copper ion science thing. Now 7 months later all looking good today sometime during the day wave maker did the same thing all corals closed up is there something to take out the toxic chemical if anyone eer had the problem . Fish all fine through both incidents
 
Joined
31 Dec 2014
Posts
440
Reaction score
28
Location
Pretoria
How big is your tank? Maybe a big waterchange could be a good start and Carbon should also absorb some
 

RiaanP

Moderator
Joined
11 Aug 2008
Posts
25,877
Reaction score
2,078
Location
Centurion
Its more the electrolysis processes due to the open electrical wires than the copper itself. The salt and other minerals reacted to the current, forming other chemical solutions.

Basically like a car battery. The two exposed wires become the anode and cathode. A whole bunch of unwanted chemical reactions happened in your tank.
 

RiaanP

Moderator
Joined
11 Aug 2008
Posts
25,877
Reaction score
2,078
Location
Centurion
Doubt your tank is earthed? Should have tripped the house power before burning the copper wire in the tank. Be careful, you could kill yourself.
 

Similar threads


Top