urgent anenome id and advice

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by akhannay, 1 Jul 2011.

1. akhannay

akhannay

hello sorry what anenome is this? and what flow/light does it like? :) i wanna buy it

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Really not sure about the species . But this anemone is VERY bleached and unhealthy.

All nennies require stable water (mature tanks) , excellent random flow and high lighting.

Under the right conditions it will take a while to get that nennie back to health

4. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

leave it be man, your clowns will be ok without a nennie, like frans mentioned they need good lighting and mature stable tank.

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I dont know what nenny it is, looks like it could be a radianthus, but what ever nenny its is, it looks bleached and would take very special care to bring it back to what it should be. What lighting are you running?

6. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

i have a 250w 14k mh and lots of coraline algea, tank is around 8 months old

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Lighting is fine, but that nenny is not well. If you want to go for a nenny rather spend the money on a healthy speciman.

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

+1

9. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

i think its a
    • Heteractis aurora
    what are the requirements to save this little guy? he is only 1 inch across

10. Annoying

Annoying

Like the rest said this nennie is severely bleached, almost no chance to bring it back on track. I would say go get a better nennie nice and healthy, it SHOULDN'T be white no matter what the shop owner says, there is almost no nennie available that is white of color. Great on asking first before buying, just shows that it helps.

11. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

if you really want this guy maybe ask the LFS if they're willing to nurse it to get it healthier and you pay a little extra for it?

12. Annoying

Annoying

• A separate tank with very little flow and low lighting
    • Lots and lots of patience
    • Trial and error of food types
    • A year + old tank
    • A good understanding of how nennies and their requirements work

13. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

he wants R50 for it... maybe i should give him a try... i have the time to help the little guy out. sure my water is better than the lfs!

14. FransSny

FransSny

It will be a huge process , light starvation means slowly getting the nennie used to highet lighting , sick nennies dont always like to feed so that might take some time lots of things to consider.

Personally I would discourage you from trying the rescue as from your post it seems you are still a bit new to nennies as such (but we all started) and I applaud you for wanting to help but if he is giving away at R 50 ...think about it

15. Annoying

Annoying

I would have done it for R50. First you will have to get it in a safe area in your tank a float tank that's is stuck somewhere in the tank not under the mh could be a good beginning. Start by placing the nennie with a piece of live rock in the float tank. Place something above it so that there is no direct lighting to burn the nennie. Try a very small piece of mussel of brine shrimp can work for now and switch of all pumps in the tank. Place the food on the mouth gently with a tweezers or something. Let it take in the food slowly, if it spits it out try to feed even smaller pieces until it accepts it. Remember nennies can spit out their food hours after feeding so keep an eye on it. Try to feed daily with that size food. When the nennie starts feeding faster you can try feeding a bit larger pieces remember the food pieces should never be bigger then the nennies mouth. When it starts getting a colour back you can slowly week by week start to move the cover over the float tank so that more light can shine through if the nennie starts hiding then the light is to much. Continue this until most of the color has restored, now you can move the nennie with the live rock to a low flow area in your tank, there it will walk to where it is happy and then continue with feedings until it is almost healthy, now feedings can be cut to 3 times a week. Even all this work won't guarantee success with the nennie, sometimes they will just refuse to eat. Remember to acclimatise very very slowly/

akhannay likes this.
  16. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

thank you!!! will hold thumbs he is still there tomorrow! :)

17. Anemone

Anemone

I don't recommend purchasing this anemone. It is knocking on death's door! The move from the LFS to your tank is going to be stressful on the anemone. Remember, when an anemone dies in your tank, it has the potential to wipe out all of your livestock very quickly.

Your lighting, although fine for a healthy anemone, may be too much for a bleached anemone.

18. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

ok best pic i could get... can i save him or not? how far gone is he? and what is he? (thanks my friends)

[​IMG]

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Dont take it. If or when it dies in your tank its going to cause serious problems. Dont be tempted just cause its cheap. Anemones are difficult to keep and getting a sick one as your first one would not be a good idea. Rather let the shop owner deal with the loss and get yourself a healthy specimen somewhere else.

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Why do you so badly want to buy this anemone? Is it because it's cheap and you want a home for your clownfish? You first need to make sure it will host your clowns as not all anemones and clownfish are compatible. Try to get a proper ID on it first before thinking about buying or trying to save it, I have no idea what it is, I will have a google and see if I can find anything.

21. akhannay

akhannay Thread Starter

cause its cheap and i wanna try save it... :)

Recent Posts