Upset

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
geez guys have i been having a hard time trying to get my yellow tangs back...

a couple months ago i was urged by 2 people (1 a family member and the other a friend) to sell them my yellows and my clams when i pulled my tank down to construct the new stand as the old one was warping and threatening to crack the tank...

needles to say things went wronf.. the friend took 3 clams and the family member 3 yellow tangs.. i declared that once they left my possession the risk became theirs.. one of the clams died and i was only pd for 2... so i left it.. the yellows were never pd for and the story was that the petrol price had gone up and his petrol card had been taken away and fuel was now for his expence...

about 2 weeks ago my wife asked the family member who took the tangs if he was still going to buy them his reply was "i dont know" she asked him again last weekend and he went ballistic basically saying that he deserved to keep the tangs as he had looked after them and for all the favours he had done for us.. i demanded the cash at least have forfeited all the corals and just want to be able to replace my tangs...

after an ugly battle i have finally gotten the cash.... i am very pissed off... i gave him the tank, rock, pumps at cost, saved him R1K on skimmer and although the tank burst (second hand glass that i had pointed out chips etc beforehand and a design flaw which i will take responsorbility for) i was still held liable for even though i gave him the glass...

the reason i am rambling on about this is to show you how nasty this game can get.. this is not the first time i have helped someone and been burnt... so guys as nice as it can be this hobby really has a dark side...

hoping that no one else experiences what i have just gone through...

Well that's two people to cross off your Christmas card list - rotten *****

Sorry for your loss leslie. From what i've seen, kunhardt's tank looks good due to your assistance. And your new tank looks awesome. This hobby is not suppose to be that way but when it becomes business it tends to. Trust me i've heard a few stories about the marine industry. Keep your chin up bro

yea well - family sucks.... looks like i will be spending xmas at my place in my pool drinking my bubbly... screw'em....

sorry to hear. when you first spoke of this i hoped it wouldn't turn ugly. this is why i try and avoid gettin into these situations including buyin stuff over the net, but the admin etc are helpin on this, but family? that is plain wrong, that crosses a line. i would go with a net to the place and catch them. its turned ugly already and fair is fair. sorry once again les

very sorry to hear les, that's why i never lend or borrow money from/to friends or family, i've also had to "write off" lots due to similar situations as you've got

i once sewed my best friend 'cause i sold him a couple of laptops and other equipment and told him he could pay me back as and when he gets cash, after more than a year he didn't pay me a cent but always had money for drinking and buying other stuff, when the lawyers contacted him he got a huge fright and paid me in full the next day! :lol: needless to say we're not friends anymore

it gets even uglier when dealing with family......

thanks for the support guys it is an ugly thing.. i have been communicating with him through my wife so as to try not give him a piece of my mind.. i have been called a coward for doing so but i have done so so that there will be no unnecessary emotional outbursts and there is some thread of possibility of a reconcilliation in the distant future... miracles do happen... i will be very cautious from now on... the funny thing is that if i owe someone something it bugs me untill i sort it out no matter how long it takes... at least it leaves me with a clear concience...

Sorry to hear this Leslie..... Ya - unfortunately I have too learnt some very bad lessons....

You were in a terrible situation - because you were sort of "forced" to do this - with the possibility of the tank crashing and all.......

I hope something now happens that you feel better about all if this....

Ahh, family - BIG word!!! I also helped out family in the past. They didn't have a car so when I bought myself a new car, I gave them my old car, in perfect running condition, new tyres, engine just redone and road worthy. Anyway, they sold it shortly after that :( and I also borrowed them R30 000 and never saw that money again after being promised I will be paid back. Obviously we're not talking anymore...

Glad Im only 15, this looks REAL messy!

Ahh, family - BIG word!!! I also helped out family in the past. They didn't have a car so when I bought myself a new car, I gave them my old car, in perfect running condition, new tyres, engine just redone and road worthy. Anyway, they sold it shortly after that :( and I also borrowed them R30 000 and never saw that money again after being promised I will be paid back. Obviously we're not talking anymore...

Thats family for you

Yep, it is always the people that you least expect that let you down.

Sorry to hear Les :( That's the reason why I prefer not to deal with family.

Back
Top Bottom