ups from junk yard

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by brettb2020, 5 Feb 2009.

1. brettb2020

brettb2020

about 2 years ago me and my mate came across a junkyard. some business had just upgraded there office's and dumped all the old equipment at this junk yard. the things that cought my eye were the UPS's:thumbup:(load shedding was its peak:p) i bought a few for dirt cheap. the batteries were finished but they worked like charm. long story short... i am using one to back-up my new/first tank.:thumbup: i bought a 52 amp hour deep cycle battery, wired it up and vwalaa! a pic follows......

if anybody needs helps with wiring ups's, relays, inverters, etc im open;) i just started marine so i dont know much about that yet:p so stick to electrical questions:)

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Good Idea but..
    I hope you are running a fan in it now.

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Good DIYing there Brett :)

5. goodisor

goodisor

Clever idea.Well done....How much did the D C Battery cost you?

6. brettb2020

brettb2020 Thread Starter

there is a fan in the back of the cabinet just slightly above that pic:thumbup: the deep cycle battey set me back R600. i got a mate in the forklift industry, got it from him:)

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Oooh, nice job there man :)

8. keyaam

keyaam

Nice DIY!! Have perhaps got a wiring diagram to share?

9. brettb2020

well for this setup there isnt much of a wiring diagram.
    you see that UPS was once a pc UPS with a small battery inside to run a pc for about 20 mins so when the power goes out you have to save your work and shut down safely. i simply reaplaced that battery with a big battery to run for a few hours. the ups has a 220v in and 220v out. all the circuitry is inside and untouched.

10. keyaam

keyaam

I'll definately be converting my ups to this:)

11. Jaak

Jaak

Nice! Great DIY idea.

12. brettb2020

just shout if you need any help:)

13. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Just a word of warning about some UPS's.

Some of them require the cap to be discharged, the ones I have come across have all had warnings on them and instruction, so guys for this one RFTM, or you will have a nice little flash and a UPS that needs to be repaired.

14. brettb2020

you 100% correct shaun. some UPS's have big caps inside for startup.:thumbup:

15. Awvince

Awvince Here fishie fishie

I've read that pc ups's tend to burn out there pc boards when they run for long periods of time, any comment?

16. brettb2020

you may be right awvince. i suppose depending on the make etc. i have my moms whole office running on a 1800w ups which i got from the same junk yard and i put 2 105 amp hour batteries on it and ran my moms office for 2 hours during load shedding everyday for about 3 months and its still there working. but now load shedding is gone. lol:thumbup:

a lil more in depth:
    this ups had a fan blowing on the heat sink of the transistors which produce the 50hz signal. the transistors are probably the first things that would go due to overheating or the step up transformer. the fan kept everything cool. if your ups doesnt have a fan and you want to do this mod. pun a fan in:)

since i got them for next to nothing and they needed new batteries anyway. i got nothing to loose. i would not go out and buy a ups to do this though. too expensive.

17. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Very true, just compare the heat sink on a UPS and inverter.

18. brettb2020

yea normally an inverter uses its whole casing as a heat sink. thats alot of heat sink! but modern inverters do not use a step up tansformer as such. they use a thing called a switch mode circuit. ALOT more transistors in these circuits. therefore they need big heat sinks

but as long as you have fan blowing on it should keep the tranistors quite cool.:thumbup:

19. chris

chris

Hey brett

Well funny thing I found a small ups in my mothers garage(was probably one of my brothers ups)any way its mine now.

Was gonna buy a small battery on monday wanted to see how long it(ups)will run my return pump.

So did you just connect the big battery in place of the old small one?How do you charge the big battery?

20. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The UPS charges the battery.

Only me been negative again,:whistling: but the things that really worries me it that they are not manufactured to run long and the charging circuit probably can't handle charging a bit battery.

21. brettb2020

you right shaun they not designed to run for long times, also some are, but most are not. the main concern is over heating though. if you add a fan inside then it should be fine. like a said earlier in the thread, the things that will blow are the transformer, if there is one, and the transistors. they will blow due to over heating. so just keep them cool. and also given the load that theyt running. with fish tanks. its not much normally.

mine has been going for a very long time. if you got one for free and needs a new battery, you got nothing to loose really.

about the charging. you use the same circuit to charge big and small batteries. it just takes longer to charge bigger batteries. they dont need a bigger voltage or current:)

Recent Posts