Upgrading waterflow

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by ImAClown, 20 Apr 2009.

1. ImAClown

ImAClown

Hi

How are you guys doing?

I've been reading through some articles and posts about watermovement and I clearly don't have enough , especially after I've read the article in the post "how important is waterflow?".

I'm quite embarrased to to say that I have 3 old fashioned powerheads for circulation in my tank.
    2 * 1200lph and 1 * 3000lph . . .
    My tank is 1,8L x 0,45w x 0,45 h

The sunsun pumps look like a really good deal. How do you guys think it compare with other bigger brand names ?

Also what is the main difference between a normal "powerhead" and a "pump". Is it only the different spread of the water or is there more to it ?

I thought about buying 2 * 5000lph sunsun pumps and next month 2 more ?

:1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

For the price those Sunsun powerheads are very good, but probably need more regular replacement. Also I wouldn't trust the flow rating, like a brand like Tunze, so make sure you buy a higher rated pump than you need.

Tony has one in his tank, so he will give you personal experience.

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

It is to do with the flow of water coming out of the pump. Here is a pic courtesy of Tunze. The top one is a STD pump.

[​IMG]

5. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

How many of those would you reckon I need in a 1,8m and where does the sunsun lie relative to the graph shaun posted ?

6. crispin

crispin

Iamaclown, i have a 1.8m and i really battled to get decent flow going in the beginning. You would see in my thread that the wavemakers (resun) i had didnt ahve attachments and I had endless problems. I eventually got a vcouple of seios on a controller (2xM1500 and 2xM820) which for the price i paid were great value. Good pumps moving water around.

then I got a second hand Tunze and the difference in the way it moved the water around was incredible. But they are expensive.

If i were you, i would contact a sponsor and ask for prices on the Seio's. Then in future IF YOU NEED TO, look at upgrading to Tunze. NOTE it IS an upgrade, you get what you pay for.

ps I have never seen or owned a sunsun so i wont comment on them

7. crispin

crispin

also if you intend to keep sps succesfully, the quality of your water movement is of importance and you may need to take that into account. but for moving water and getting detritus out of rocks and dead spots, Seios are fine :)

8. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I have the 6000 LPH twin head sunsun it has an amazing spread. At least twice as wide as my Seio820. I will most likely never buy another powerhead brand. I won't touch Tunze unless i win the Lotto or learn to Cr@p out R200 notes. Much better things to buy with that ridiculous amount of money.

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I have never owned a Tunze power-head. BUT, do own, 2 x ReSun 15000 Wavers, 3 SEIO's and 1 SunSun (and some LifeTech's behind my life rock)...

I am equally impressed with these 2. INCLUDING the SunSun..... The ReSuns (I have found) have the widest spread of the 3, because of the outlet being 67mm in diameter.... The SEIO's outlets are around 52/55mm... the SunSun's outlet, is also the same as the SEIO's.... around 52/55mm....

I have QUITE some movement inside my 2 metre tank, though. My fish get a REALLY DECENT exercise routine....

10. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

I almost set to buy the Seios until I saw the sunsun thread. I don't like to buy cheap stuff that I have to replace 2 weeks later but they are indeed a third of the seios price ? I'm hoping someone with some experience with sunsuns can give me some indication whether some 5000lph sunsuns will work in my tank. I'm definitely aiming to have sps, but not anytime soon, I need loads more experience :D

11. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

Ahh thanks, thats what I wanna hear :p So you would rather get a sunsun than a seio when taking price and flow in consideration ?

12. jacquesb

Hi IamAClown - I have the 5000 litre per hour SunSun. I was REALLY impressed with the pump when I put it in my tank. I paid R125 for mine, from one of our sponsors, NAAC. I have added the power-head about 2 months ago, and except for some growth on it, is it still going VERY VERY strong......

13. jacquesb

At this stage - I would be willing to take a chance, and say "yes"..... I know that MOST of the pumps in NAAC's tanks are SunSun's..... they do have ONE VORTECH in their coral tank (the HUGE U-shaped tank - have a look at their web-site).....
    All the pumps in their fish only tanks are SunSuns.....

14. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

Thats awesome news, the one thing I really can't understand is how they are able to sell it for such a price, it's almost a give-away - I paid R360 for a 3000lph lifetech at builders warehouse :D. How many of them do you think I shoud aim for? About 4 ?

15. jacquesb

Depending on the size of your tank. Of course - this also depends on what you want to keep. For SPS - and many soft corals, the MORE the better....
    (I have +-54000 litres per hour water flow inside my 2 metre tank)..... For LPS corals - many don't like that huge flow....
    For fish - they don't care ;) As long as you feed them ;)

ImAClown likes this.
  16. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

Atm I'm just going for softies and lps - so I dont want the flow to be too strong. There will be a big difference between 2 sunsuns and my current 2 powerheads right ? I think the waterflow also had a hand in the algae problem I had.

17. jacquesb

What current power-heads do you have?

18. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

2 * 1200lph
    1 * 3000lph - I have to decrease its flow otherwise the substrate ends up all over the place - blows one veeeery straight path

19. jacquesb

Brand? Do they have those "narrow" outlets?

20. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

The 3000lph is a lifetech and the other 2 are atman and aquaHQ.
    yah their outlets are no more than 1,5cm.

21. jacquesb

OK - that's where the problem lies, IamAClown....... Marine reef tanks work ABSOLUTELY BEST with a VERY wide, dispersed, and random/chaotic flow..... you should aim to get as RANDOM and turbulent flow as possible, in your tank..... Corals/fish do NOT like a JETSTREAM being blasted at them at a constant velocity..... it does NOT happen in the sea.... so.... should not happen in our tanks either....

Recent Posts