"Upgrading" TS2

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by FransSny, 20 Apr 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Could anyone say if there would be a use in only upgrading a skimmer by only installing a larger size pump?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

It may cause the skimmer to overflow with the extra power which you would now have to compensate by moving the skimmer out the water more and possibly eventually getting back to how it used to work before and having to go out of your way to do it :) so maybe not, why not upgrade the wheel or do a mod to it?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Frans - I ONCE contemplated putting an OTP3000 on my TS2....... unfortunately NEVER came about in doing so..... I think that it would REALLY have made the BIGGEST difference EVER!

Alternatively - a "cheaper" mod - buy a decent pond air-pump, and put the AIRLINE on the skimmer's air-intake.... FORCE air into the skimmer, instead of just ONLY allowing the skimmer pump to suck the air in.....

5. Tony

Tony

I think a bigger pump will just force water throught the skimmer faster. You need good contact time for the bubbles to do their thing and remove gunk

6. Andreas

Andreas

I agree with Tony. I would rather do the mod that stuart suggested. What pump does your skimmer have?If it has a reefoctopus you could change it to a pin wheel or alternatively mod your exisiting impellor

7. lIghty

lIghty

I agree with Tony, pumps pump a "set" ratio of water / air, if you increase the pump, yes it would push more air into the chamber, but at the same time more water too, meaning that it wouldn't have enough time to "work", therefore you would need to increase the chamber size.... get my drift? just get a bigger skimmer? perhaps the pin wheel would be better?

With saying that, I've never done it, so my opinion is base on what I "understand" of it, perhaps I'm wrong, keep us posted if you decide to continue with your idea:thumbup:

8. sunburst

sunburst

As Andreas says...If this relates to the supply pump.... no. IF to the Recirc, then i believe it would/could... by supplying more air. However the risk that to much air would simply cause the skimmer to overflow (Ninja:)) is also possible. I would rather explore the cheaper route of providing a better air by chopping up those bubbles with mesh, needle or pin wheels

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

jacques, that was my 2nd option

Thanks for the input guys...think ill put my TS2 pump on my TS1 & see what happens...cant hurt giving it a bash

10. lIghty

lIghty

:whistling: this could be tricky. Normally the pump itself doesn't suck the air, it sucks water which in turn causes a lower pressure inside the venturi, which sucks the air. By pumping too much air it will cause the pump to cavitate, and therefore not to suck water.

What I've done and did found it to be a small improvement is, connected a "T" piece where the air line connects to the venturi, and bring 2 pipe up for air. Found this to help a little.....

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

what about putting an airstone in the chamber of the skimmer???

12. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

thanx lIghty.will keep that a rty as well

13. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

interesting thought neil

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi Neil - now we going back to old school of skimmers - I've still got mine like just broke the cup but is has one of those wooden diffusser airstone - very fine bubbles but heard very good reviews about just the size very small - mind you my dad used it in his tank for about 8 years and never lost a fish!

15. Neil H

i am not suggesting replacing the pumps, just adding more bubbles ..... more air to water ratio??

16. lIghty

lIghty

Would work Neil, but how to get the air line inside the chamber, would have to drill a small hole, suppose a small 5mm hole wouldn't be all that bad?

17. Neil H

drill a hole or melt a hole for the airline, then silicone it in place?

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Cool idea what about using the wooden airstone? test it not expensive at all and it definately has finer bubbles

19. lIghty

lIghty

All air driven skimmers use wooden air stones, sure he will too;)

20. Tony

Tony

Drill a hole in the centre of the lid over the riser tube then drop the airline with the stone to the bottom and hook it up. Just remember that you have to change the airstones every few months. Why don't you just get e needle wheel? I had a TS2 and that guy worked very well but then it had the king2 pumps

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

Just thought I'de make sure coz this is a TS2 "pump driven" thread that we trying to add bling to it for more performance;)

Recent Posts