Upgrading to LED - top options anyone?

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
Hi MASA,

So my tank is running for almost a year now. 150x50x50 running odyssea 2x54W and 72W Beamswork LED moded spectrum. My corals seem to be growing fine, but I have the plenty money to get the best I can get in LED'S now.

So, I would like to know your top 5 LED units available to SA. Price isn't an issue.
I want the best for my current and future corals. I have softies, LPS and lower end SPS. I plan on adding more LPS and SPS.

I read the WWE thread between Radions and Vertex already, but don't want a debate here lol

So what do you guys/girls feel my options should be???

Im running two Aqua illumination hydra 52 on a 150x55x50 on only 60%
7e952630befecd4259c9e1981510bbc5.jpg

Have a look at them they are really awesome and my growth is great.

There are a few other things to consider as the best on the market might not be the best for tour setup. Maybe decide on the look you want. Do you want a single unit or multiple units, do you want the units suspended high off the water surface or low. Maybe you dont care about these things at all which will give you more options. The top brands for me in no particular order are ecotech radion, vertex illumina, ghl mitras, aqua illumination hydra, orphek atlantik.

It might be hard but try and look at tanks in person which have these units running and look at stuff like colour blending, spread etc. just dont get fooled with fancy features and dont et sucked into the number of colour channels nonsense.

There are a few other things to consider as the best on the market might not be the best for tour setup. Maybe decide on the look you want. Do you want a single unit or multiple units, do you want the units suspended high off the water surface or low. Maybe you dont care about these things at all which will give you more options. The top brands for me in no particular order are ecotech radion, vertex illumina, ghl mitras, aqua illumination hydra, orphek atlantik.

It might be hard but try and look at tanks in person which have these units running and look at stuff like colour blending, spread etc. just dont get fooled with fancy features and dont et sucked into the number of colour channels nonsense.
The features like storm and lighting i agree with that is something one doesnt really use. The colour channels i like because you can customise your look more and makes it easier to mimic the sun the more colours you have that is the same as the sun. Just my 2c
Also agree with your list i just dont know the ghl mitras. I know the orpek are also very good

Last edited:
The top brands for me in no particular order are ecotech radion, vertex illumina, ghl mitras, aqua illumination hydra, orphek atlantik.

I have been thinking about the Vertex, AI hydra, radions, LuminiAqua, Pharos and Maxspect fixture from high to low on my order of likes.
I may just go radion or vertex. not too familiar with the others. Any input?

Well you have already read the thread on the radion vs vertex so asking for input on those 2 will go down the same road as that thread. I suggest finding tanks with those units on and see which one your eyes prefer.

I am selling two vertex 300mm 360 units if you keen...best lights I have ever used..these units were on my show tank which we have decommissioned as we moving...

I got radion units above my tank. I'm happy with them. Only real problem that could go wrong is the fans eventually pack up. But so would any fan that runs in a humid environment.

Lights should be 22 to 27 cm above the water, if I recall correctly from Ecotech website.

In my previous tank of 1.5 by 750 by 750, I had 4 units, turned 90 degrees. So they were rather close to each other.

On your size tank, 3 Radion units would be enough, being slightly narrower and shallower.

If money is not a problem you could import the Lumix grow 500 plasma series, that would set you back about 100clips lol and you would replicate the sun in your lounge

I hav had radion n now the ghl mitras. .havnt used the mitras yet as they for my new system...I can say the build quality is solid hwy. .makes the radion look cheap. Light spread is also better as well

led lights are always a heated debate...personally the best tanks with best colour iv seen run t5. .but ya..that's a debate for another day

I think the vertex also good as well..
@flappy...pm me price on those units if papitto isn't interested

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom