Upgrading to a bigger tank and using new sand.

Reaction score
Hi all.
I need some advise please as I will be upgrading my current 60cm cube to a new redsea 425xl.
My cube has been running for about 6.5 yrs now.
Issues I face:
1. The current system has very little sand that I can move over. Can I add new sand to the new tank, provided I wash it really well? Would the tank go through a cycle if I do this?
2. What would be the best method to add more rock to the new tank.
3. Would it be more advisable to start off fresh with the new sand and rock and then move my coral n fish over once the tank is cycled. I have a few anemone's so that's like putting them into basically a new system which is a concern.

You can cure rock beforehand in a big jim container or bucket so it can be added to the new system, it's probably best to go with new sand.
Move as much of your current filter media over to the new tank which will lessen the effects of the new cycle and speed up establishment of the new biofilter. there might be many other ways of doing it...

You can cure rock beforehand in a big jim container or bucket so it can be added to the new system, it's probably best to go with new sand.
Move as much of your current filter media over to the new tank which will lessen the effects of the new cycle and speed up establishment of the new biofilter. there might be many other ways of doing it...
Thanks @anonymone. Decided to move livestock over to a friend's tank and start off fresh again. That would give me some time to plan everything as to how I want it and not rush it.

If the new tank would be standing at the same spot as old tank, then moving the livestock to a friend is a better idea.

If new position in the house, then I would set up the new system as a totally new one, let it cycle etc. And eventually move the fish etc over.

Thanks @RiaanP. New tank is in the same spot as the old one so decided to move everything over to the friends tank and start fresh. They delivered my new red sea 425xl delux on Thursday so supper excited to get it up and running but underestimated the amount of work to Clean up n remove the old tank. At least I have time now since I don't have to worry about the livestock.

Back
Top Bottom