Upgrading tank, some questions, still a beginner :D

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Barlan, 19 Aug 2013.

1. Barlan

Barlan

Hi All

So ive decided to upgrade from my red sea max 130d to the aquaria 1500. This is my first tank with a sump so i have alot of questions, and who better to ask than you guys and gals. :thumbup:

• Is there any specific order that the equipment in the sump needs to be in?

• I have a RO unit, is it possible to get more of the white piping and run it from the RO unit to the tank? give or take 7 metres on the ground and about 2 metres up, would tha be possible or will there not be enough pressure?

• Another RO unit question, if the above is not possible, im assuming the best way would be into a big container and then pumped into the tank.

• My plan at the moment is putting in the aquascaping first, then the sand then the RO water and lastly the salt. This is the way i did it with the RSM, is there a better way of doing it?

• In terms of water changing, is it better to do the water change from the sump or the DT? if from the sump what chamber is best to drain from?

thanks for the advice i got alot more questions just cant think of them atm. :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Mechanical, biological, chemical... That is the default sequence for filtration.

yes. As long as this is temporary to fill up the tank. Not permanent, as you will at some point stuff up the salinity.

Or from big tank into smaller tanks / drums and fill the tank up that way.

Nope. Not if it is liverock. Else you will kill everything in the rock

Depends on your setup, Older tank I switched the return off, drained from the display and refill into first sump chamber.

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Hope you have fun, to answer your questions:

Yes, start off with mechanical filtration, then finish off with your chemical filtration before returning to the tank.

Sure this is possible, if you don't have enough pressure you might need to buy a pressure pump. Remember to connect your top up switch that is in your sump directly to your pressure switch and aslo have a fail safe, or you might flood your tank and your home.

This is the most common method of filling your tank, a RO chamber that is close your tank. All you do is fill the chamber every few days.

If this method worked for you, then use it again. I personally would put in the gravel, followed by rock then water, heat the water to 25 degrees and work out how much salt you need. You might also want to raise the rock of the substrate, this can be done with pvc piping.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Riaan has true points too, I would use base rock and cycle your tank from that, as live rock might contain some unwanted critters.

Also you can remove your water from anywhere, if you feel you need to clean the sump from dentritus, the do a water change from the sump. In the end, its about making the chore easy and fun.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2013
  6. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Hi Guys

thanks for the replies, I am using base rock for the cycling. Really trying to avoid unwanted critters.

Just waiting for delivery of the tank now, cant wait :D

Recent Posts