Upgrading sump advice needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mala1610, 5 Jan 2013.

1. mala1610

mala1610

Hi guys I'm upgrading my sump from a 100L to a 175L. I would like to remove my current sump and put the empty sump in. Then full up with RO water which is ready in my containers, add the salt,heater, wave maker and pump and let my new sump work on its own for 24 hours mixing the salt. I will add a heater to my display to keep that temperature ok. My display tank will have everything except going through my sump for this time (24h). Will this way be ok.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

It could be a shock for your display

4. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

It should be ok IME as i did this when I moved from my 4ft to the 5ft, just make sure the salinity in the sump is as close to the DT before you switch the return on... ps, I got the balance of the pellets waiting for you ;)

5. pkc

pkc

Do you have extensive matured media in the old sump?

6. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Hey man, the salinity won't be a problem I have a refractometer So I will make sure.. Oh thanks just got back from holiday so I'll swing by this week some time.

7. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

My sump has been running for about 7 months

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

What is the tank volume? What in sump filtration media are you currently using?

9. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

600L , I have some ceramic bio balls, DSB, caulerpa and some live rock. I would say my DT has quite a lot of live rock.

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I would recommend using som of the top layer of water in your old sump to mix with the new waer in new sump. Only add the old water after mixing for a few hours though. Use as much as you can without siphoning up detritus.

Keep the ceramic bioballs in the old water with an airstone for water movement or a pump breaking surface.
    More of a concern would be uprooting the dsb. Do you intend using the same sand for a new DSB in new sump?
    I would not recooemd moving it all out the old sump and dumping the sand into new sump. You will have to start the dsb from scratch again in the new sump. Your best option would be to wash it well with tank water, as this will shorten the cycle period of the dsb. Better is to rinse it well with RO, but this will lengthen the cycle period of the dsb and not familiar with your setup so not sure if your filtration will handle whilst the dsb is kicking into gear.

11. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

Thanks @irie ivan , I was thinking of only using the top 1 to 2 inches of that DSB. Only wanting thin sand bed in new refugium.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

well, other than ripping out your biological filter, what can go wrong?

I would keep the bio balls and ceramic rings. Move them over.
    Actually get most of the water out of the old sump into the new sump. Add new water to the display so that the overflow fills the new sump with old water. Move bio balls and ceramic rings. And the caulerpa and live rock you got in the sump. No need to run it separate for a day.

Pity you loose the benefit from your DSB. Siphoning the top layer of sand over will bring a lot of detritus over. That detritus is not bad, it is only have consumed crap, and silt. Silt is the final product after detritus has been fully broken down. But the silt and detritus will not settle immediately and that will not allow you to run the full circulation as needed. There for rather go for new sand. You must use a cup or 3 of the old DSB to seed your new sand. That at least will speed things up.

Keep an eye out on your parameters for the next couple of weeks. Do not overfeed. Do not feed frozen foods. Do your water changes every week. Until the new DSB is fully active. And a DSB should be 150mm deep to be of value.

Recent Posts