Upgrading a DSB to a bigger remote DSB

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by brentch, 16 Jun 2012.

1. brentch

brentch

Hey guys...

I am thinking of a few changes to my filtration... The first of which is to move my current DSB to a separate "flow bin" type container alongside my system. The reasons are fourfold:

1. I want to increase the surface area on my current one. This change could more than double the surface area...

2. Moving the DSB will free up space in the middle compartment of my sump, allowing for easy siphoning, thus, the middle compartment will serve as a settling tank for detritus.

3. I will gain an extra 50-80l of water to the system, and a bigger fuge for pods and other bugs...

4. I can move to pellets (but only to supplement, would probably run about half the recommended dose as I still want to keep my softies and zoas) as I will have more than enough space.

Now, how do I go about doing this?

1. I assume I could put all the sand from my 1st DSB into the second and just cover up with more sand (possibly a wash with RO?)? Or should I leave my 1st DSB and wait for my new one to start denitrifying before removing the first?

2. What sort of flow should I have through the new remote DSB??? Or at least what factors/principals should I look at in choosing the flow rate through it?

(By the way, i'm looking at trying Visser's method of DSB, it seems to work well)

Sorry for the long winded post:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi
    First things, don't touch or move your current dsb until the new one is in place, doing this will kill and destroy it. You will need to run both in tandem for a few weeks until the other has started an anorobic layer

Sorry there is no easy way

4. dallasg

I used a 100l black dustbin filled about 100mm from the top and have about 3cm of water flowing over
    I had the flow just enough not to move the sand and placed a filter sock on the exit

5. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Okay cool, i'm not in too much of a rush so i'll wait...

I have a 90l black storage box... Should I add a light too? Don't really see the need...

6. dallasg

No light needed, the filter area we need is dark. Light only if used with macro algae

7. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Hmmmm, ya... I haven't had to much luck with chaeto. Will leave that one out...

How much flow do you think i'd need? A 1000L/hr too much?

8. dallasg

All depends, need to see how the flow works and go from there, just enough to not move the sand

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a remote DSB, a 220l standard Daroo 4foot tank. No compartments with central overflow in the middle of the back pane. It is slightly raised and overflow back to my main sump. With 2 old style circulation pumps to add extra water moement, 1500 each.
    I kept my original DSB in my main sump. Just linked the extra tank inline. The return pump is split and provide water back to main and second tank plust to rthe remote DSB.
    Add the new sand, seed it with a cup of and from your old DSB. Can even add a piece of live rock or two on the sand. The worms and copepods needs a home. Also a couple of empty snail shells will provide nice housing for them.
    Do not throw out your old DSB untill the remote DSB is 100%. Can take up to 6 months. Mine is now in a very good shape. My DSB is outperforming my cheato ball. I always gave parts away frequently, but the last couple of months it is dying out.

10. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

That's big! where do I find one of those??

Recent Posts