upgrades

Discussion in 'New Members' started by cuenm, 15 Apr 2011.

1. cuenm

cuenm

hi all,
    i have to thank everyone for a fantastic forum with bucket loads of information, i have spent the past few weeks sifting through it all and have made up my mind and changed it too many times to count with regards equipment, animals, etc.

i am upgrading my fowlr to a reef tank, its a 3ft, put in a overflow and connecting up a 2ft sump with dsb. my querry comes in with lighting, too much contradicting info so i thought i would ask opinions. i have bought a 39w dual t5 ballast with 1xactinic and 1x 10 000k. will this be sufficient for zooanthids, soft corals, mushrooms, anemones, etc. i plan on sticking to the softies before venturing into sps corals.
    like i said 3ft, approx. 80-90l, sump 40l. still waiting on skimmer.

thanks again.
    cuen
    p.s any other usefull info welcome, and i have read all the posts for newbies, etc thoroughly.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Duimpies

Duimpies

wellcome
    Add another 2 39watt t5 lights , white and blue
    Skimmer , go for reeftech TS1 .... works like a dream and will be strong enough for your water volume ..

enjoy it ....its artwork

Last edited: 15 Apr 2011
  4. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome boet. Try and get a bigger sump as you need the DSB to be big in order for it to work. It needs to be about the size of the sand bed in the DT. You will need 4xT5 to keep zoa's, mushrooms etc however you will not be able to keep anemones as they require intense lighting like metal halides and in such a small system the metal halides will increase the temperature of the water and you will need a chiller which is pretty expensive. So rather stay clear of the anemones for now :)

5. Tony

Tony

Get another 39 W ballast system of get a T5 lighting pendant which is neater for zoanthids, some softies and mushrooms. If you want to go the anemone and SPS route you will have to up your lighting a lot to at least 8 T5's or a combo of T5's and metal halides. If you want to migrate from a FOWLR to a full blown reef tank you should be careful what fish you put them in as some fish may turn your prized coral into a snack. Alternatively, you can keep the more non reef safe fish but be prepared to catch them once you decide to go the coral reef route. This will almost always mean stripping the tank down of the rocks or using a fish trap.

I must also caution you about keeping an anemone. They should never be put in a new tank or a tank with insufficient lighting and water movement. Your tank must be up and running for at least a year before considering one, even then you have to be cautious about the anemone you want to keep. Some are easier than others to keep than others so your choice of anemone has to be correct. Also anemones dont always fit well in a reef tank with SPS corals as if they move they can wipe out all the corals in it's path

Last edited: 15 Apr 2011
  6. cuenm

cuenm Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys...
    anybody know where i can get t5 ballasts in pe, what should i be paying for a 2x 39w? the assembled unit i got from the lfs was quite costly.

7. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Agree with the rest of the guys. I think the 2 x 39w is only good enough for the most basic softies and lps. I kept some mushrooms, rics and a hammer under that sort of lighting and they didn't really grow but didn't die either, they just kinda lived. I am guessing your tank is only 35cm high so 1 or prefereably 2 more bulbs and you're golden.

What unit did you buy because if it is a nice one with good bulbs it could be enough as is. Something like 2 x 39w ATI bulbs in a good unit will be really bright in your tank.

8. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome to MASA. If I were you, I would befriend @leslie hempel. You can get great advice and a good idea of what to pay and where to get it out there...;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. K_ONE

K_ONE

Welcome to MASA and enjoy your stay!

Recent Posts