Upgrade from 100l Nano to 350l

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by AnnDom, 18 Apr 2013.

1. AnnDom

AnnDom

I am wanting to upgrade from my 100l nano to a 350l tank. What would be the best way to do this. Allow the new 350 lit to cycle first (6 weeks) and then move everything accross. Or would I be able to move all the existing filter media rock/water etc to the 350l. The Nano has beeb running for over a year.
    Would this to be too much of a shock to the fish.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

If you can setup the tank and let it cycle and then slowly transfer the LS slowly, it would be more advantages.

But if the tank needs to go in the same place. It's not impossible to transfer everything in one day. A little planning, advice and some expert advice, together with and adative like stability, and anything is possible.

4. AnnDom

AnnDom Thread Starter

Thanks Butcherman!!

5. Evo R

Evo R

If you can let the new tank cycle first it would be best. If you wanted to move from 350l to 100l there would be no problem as you are moving established water and biological filter over to a smaller size tank. Different story when its the otherway around, going from smaller to bigger. Point is, it is possible to move it in one go. But is it worth all the extra hassle and possibility of losing live stock??

Best advise....wait and cycle.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

How do you cycle a tank if it goes in exactly the same spot as your current tank?

I moved from a 240l to 500l in January. The new tank was in exactly the same spot as the old. @carlosdeandrade also moved to a bigger tank.

Anytime you transfer a tank directly you unbalance it wheather its going bigger or smaller. hence the requirement for a product like stability or nite out to ensure your tank's new mini cycle is not dangerous to your LS.

You require loads of planning, enough containers for water and live stock and adittional new water if reruired.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Evo R

Evo R

thats why i said "all the extra hassle" and that it is possible to move.
    He must just clerify if the new tank is going to a new spot or to the same spot.
    If going to a new spot, cycle.
    If going to the same spot, then its differnt and everybody can give advise acordingly.

Recent Posts