Updated Pics of LS

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Galen, 23 Dec 2011.

1. Galen

Galen

Tube Anemone pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anemone Crab jumped onto the torch coral while anemone decided to move

[​IMG]

Maroon Clown on Bubble tip anemone

[​IMG]

Does Anyone know how to add a video? I have the cutest video of the clown fish and anemone...
    Can someone suggest how to upload please :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

You can upload via youtube/photobucket and post the link on the forum.

Galen I hate to be the bringer of bad news but that nennie(the bubble tip) is severly bleached. You will have to start to rehabilitate it before you lose it and maybe the rest of the tank inmates aswell. What are you running lighting wise, filtration and biological also how old is your system and dimensions

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree, nennie is bleached. You need to feed it meaty foods every other day or so for it to regain it's health and start building up zooxanthellae again. Not too big a pieces, small like 6mm or so.

5. Annoying

Annoying

Maybe even smaller pieces , judging by the size of the clown I would say the mouth isn't much larger then a few mm's. You would have to feed particles that's round about a 1/4 of the size of the mouth each day. It will be a lengthy process and you will have to keep the clown away during feeding and even maybe switch of the flow, watch the food until it has dissapeared in it's mouth. Check to see if the food is rejected after a few hours, if it is you will have to make the food even smaller. Mussels are great packets of energy for nennies. When the nennie starts getting back a bit of colour you can slowly start feeding bigger foods maybe half the mouth size once a day. When it's almost back to a luminous green you can feed every second day and when it's a nice solid non transparent green you can feed twice a week. But first we will have to know your lighting if this can even be possible

Tobes and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the info guys.
    I have 4 t8 lights and 2 metal halide lights 150w. I fed it pieces of Hake as my other Anemone that i bought was bleached due to quarantine(as per LFS???) It ate rather large pieces, size of mouth maybe a little bigger. I will change this now to mussels as recommended. Lighting should be fine or else the tube anemone would have also lost colour and its further from the light than the bubble tip. Unless im wrong....

7. Annoying

Annoying

The problem is you may think that the nennie is eating the larger pieces but what happens is a few hours later or when the tank has lightsout it will spit it out again, and if you have a few hermits you won't even notice. Rather be safe and feed as small as possible. Hake is also a goof food for nennies, it will be even better if you take turn with them both, one day hake piece the next mussel. This will allow different types of food and supplements to enter the tissue and can even speed up the recovery process.

As with the tube anemone, they are non-photosynthetic, they are completely dependent on direct feeding to stay alice. For them I would recommend every second day feeding with a piece half the size of the mouth. You will see a great increase in colour in due time bacause actually yours should be a rich pink colour.

In time you will also see the bubble tip will start to move around, whatever you do don't move it from a place you don't like. Most likely it will just move again from where you placed it and that will burn precious energy it can't afford. If you see it's moving then place corals away from where it is going as it can and will quickly sting your corals.

Good luck, this is going to be hard work but if the nennie recovers you are going to have an attachment to it like non other in your tank. Please keep us updated so that we can help as much as possible

8. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Thanks Annoying :)
    What muscles do i feed it? Canned or from fish market?
    R all Anemones compatible with each other? I was told i have a Herectus Magnifica, the bubble tip and the tube...
    Have an awesome X mas tomorrow

9. Annoying

Annoying

Anytime bud, The best is fresh mussels or those you buy in frozen packets from Pick n pay. It's like R10 for a packet and they last very long. Try to get the more natural brown coloured ones as the bright orange ones aren't very nice for the anemones.

Yes you have a tube nennie, bubble tip and if you are reffering to the pic in your avatar then that is a magnifica. Magnifica's are notoriously hard to keep, I had a beautiful specimen but I went aways a week and somebody looked after the tank. He forgot to switch on the lights, also my salinity was to low (should be 1.025-1.026) and a very big temp swing(30C) he bleached totally. I tried for 6 months to get it back on track and is was colouring up again but then it decided to split(very seldomly a good sign for a nennie) the split didn't finish and I had manually tried to finish it. The two nennies now didn't eat and spat out all the food hours later. In about two months I lost them both:(.

But back again to you. The nennie in your avatar is also bleached the tentacles of a magnifica should have a rich brown colour. These nennies need high light and high flow sometimes the even go sit at the top of the tank next to the inlet from the sump. A bit of flow should be aimed at it, you should do the same to it as what you are going to do with the bubble. The magnifica is going to be very hard to recover and most of the tiems they don't good luck again.

How big is your tank is a better question, nennies can be placed 2 and max 3 in a large system (600L and more) but the should be at least half a meter apart. They will attack eachother with stings and chemicals when too close to eachother. The tube nennie isn't an actual true anemone so the same rules don't apply for them completely but one of them are just right for an average sized system.

Enjoy your christmas aswell and thank you:1:

10. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Well, i lost a black clown fish as well as some of my green star polyps.
    Im real pi$$ed off now.
    I need to get rid of the niger trigger. I cant keep him in my tank any more. Id rather find someone interested in purchasing him than flushing him down the toilet :p . R200 any takers? Also my Long spine sea urchin. R150

The niger attacked my black clown fish. I fed him 2 - 4 times a day but still he would rather have a tasty snack.
    The urchin at the polyps.

11. Annoying

Annoying

Put them in the sump for now, there are a few guys starting a FOWLR system and the trigger will soon be sold. Make a thread in the "for sale" section on the forum, remember to add some pics. How about some update pics of the nennies?

12. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

I have another question, my Magnifica anemone is going a shade purple since feeding him mussels. Is this something to worry about?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And rather remove that clown until the bubble tip has recovered.

And the Cerianthus, Tube anemone, need to feed him really small pieces of food, Mysis shrimp, flakes or Reef Paste. Do not feed them any big chunks of food.

14. Annoying

Annoying

No that's perfect almost any colour sign will be good in these nennies. A lot of the magnifica's have purple tips so most likely the tips will get more and a richer purple. Just continue what you are doing. Pics:p

15. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Hi people, long time no see :)
    So my Magnifica and bubble tip have doubled in size and dont seem to like being far apart.
    Below is a pic of them

[​IMG]

Then, i found this thing in my tank and dont know what it is.
    It looks like a crab, pincers are tiny. Can anyone identify it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. erratiC

erratiC

Hey @Galen, it's good to see some healthy nennies, nice one! Now where's the rest of the tank? ;)

And sorry dude, can't make head or tail on that "crab" of yours.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Rest of the tank??? lol the corals are in recovery some form of bacteria got a hold of them. a bit of iodine and they seem to be doing better. Star polyps have taken to the rock they on and stuck down pretty good. Ill post pics of them some time.
    tank crawling with bristle worms and the two wrasses dont seem to be hungry enough to eat them.

18. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Okie dokie, im moving soon so im ready to throw in the towel. over R30 G's later!!!

Recent Posts