Update New setup Marineland 250lt

Keshen

Nano Addiction
Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals

Update on my new setup 250lt, tank is in cycling mode this week.

Added live sea sand 15kg and live rock that I collected while I was holiday in Richards Bay.

Update Marineland 250lt 1.jpg

Update Marineland 250lt 2.jpg

Update Marineland 250lt.jpg

Shells, snails, algae will grow on all kinds of rock. What makes it "live" is just the term for a healthy bacteria colony living on and in it. Hence i guess nearly any rock in the sea becomes live after a short while. But that doesn't make it Good Live Rock.
The good kind of Rock is very very porous, the more the better, and because of that its quite light, relative to its size, when you pick it up, Importantly not made up of compressed Sand or anything else with silicates (that will lead to Phosphates).
Its all about lots of surface area, especially inside the rock where its dark.
I think I had some of that rock that you had.
No worries though it looks cool. :)
For what its worth some of the best live Rock I've owned and the most fun is making your own. It stops you breaking off the good stuff from the ocean. The correct recipe and some time produces amazingly good stuff.

Shells, snails, algae will grow on all kinds of rock. What makes it "live" is just the term for a healthy bacteria colony living on and in it. Hence i guess nearly any rock in the sea becomes live after a short while. But that doesn't make it Good Live Rock.
The good kind of Rock is very very porous, the more the better, and because of that its quite light, relative to its size, when you pick it up, Importantly not made up of compressed Sand or anything else with silicates (that will lead to Phosphates).
Its all about lots of surface area, especially inside the rock where its dark.
I think I had some of that rock that you had.
No worries though it looks cool. :)
For what its worth some of the best live Rock I've owned and the most fun is making your own. It stops you breaking off the good stuff from the ocean. The correct recipe and some time produces amazingly good stuff.

Thanks young man for your kind words and suggestions, I will take note in future...

Back
Top Bottom