Up Pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Redhawk10, 29 Jun 2010.

1. Redhawk10

Redhawk10

Hi There, with the price of electricity going up all the time im look at saving power.Im looking for ideas for an up pump @ +-5000L with the least power use. Ive seen a Reef Octopus Water blaster that uses 60W @ 5000L 3.5 Head. Is there any other pumps out there?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The aquamedic ocean runner OR6500. 6500LPH @ 95 watts.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi RedHawk - why would you want a return pump that does 5000 liters per hour? That is HUGE mate! What size tank do you have? And what is your sump size?

How far (in meters) does the pump have to pump the water to the tank?

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Whoa, huge you say jacques? i have a a 200L tank with a 6500L return, is that too much? i am paranoid now as i have had algae problems, could it be that the water is not being properly 'processed' in my sump :( ahhhh, im not home for another week or so!

6. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Both my tanks are 200+ and running 5000lph returns...Thats what was adviced to me...

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

My total system vol. is +/-650 and i run a 3000lph return.

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hmmmm, i think i might try going for a lower flow and see how it goes, pump in hooked up for in-line use so shouldnt take too long :)

9. jacquesb

Yes Deadmeat - and you DikDaan. I am not 100% sure who would have advised you to use such huge return pumps.

You must remember what you are trying to achieve here, with your sump. IF your water flows to fast through your sump, then the sump will NOT get a change to "clean the water" properly.

You should use in-tank power-heads for water flow. A return pump is purely there only for returning the water to your DT.....

And Deadmeat - no need to be paranoid mate ;)

10. jacquesb

BTW: MY DT volume is +-700 liters, and my sump volume +-800 liters. I have a 3500 liters per hour return pump, which pumps the water +-4 meters back to my DT.

I also have to detune (throttle) the return pump quite a bit, because my water overflow downpipe is directly connected to my skimmer, which then dumps the water into my sump system. My skimmer also throttles the water flow to my sump......

11. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Jacques what size return would you advice me using? Will change the returns in time then as i get a bit of extra cash...

12. jacquesb

Dikdaan - I would rather suggest one of +-1500 liters per hour, maximum. You can actually go for a 1000 liters per hour one, if the head length is not too much.

Dikdaan likes this.
  13. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

The head length is about 1.5meter so its not that much...Thanks for the help!!!

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

So in theory you return is less than 2 X total volume Jacques? What would your nett flow rate be after head and pipe length?

15. regis

regis

should your return pump not be 10X the volume of the display tank? read this in a few places. my dt is 300l and i am using a 3500lph return pump??

16. Redhawk10

Redhawk10 Thread Starter

My tank size 800L my current pump is 5600L, new pump replacing old pump and T off for suppling cal reactor ect.

17. jacquesb

The nett water flow from my tank's return pump, is +-800/900 liters per hour.

And yes - my total water volume, is +-1500 liters. My return pump is rated at 2500 liters per hour.

My whole sump system cycles all the water within itself (my "sump" consists of 6 x 90cm tanks) about 3 to 4 times, before the water volume is returned to my DT...

The whole cycle from the time that water leaves my Display Tank, till the time it returns, takes about 1.5 hours.

No - definitely NOT 10x the volume of the display tank. Regis - where would you have read this? I would like to correct the people who wrote that.

Remember - you are trying to achieve one thing with a sump: FILTRATION OF YOUR DT's WATER.....

That can only happen, IF you give your filtration media/methods a change to do it's thing.....A skimmer can only skim water that stays in it's body, for a certain period of time.

A DSB can only work - IF the water flows slowly over it..... As can live rock only be a filtration method, IF the water runs slowly enough over it/through it - to reach the rock's centre....

And - macro algae can only do it's magic, if the water is around it for a long enough period of time..... ;)
    :thumbup: :wave2: :biggrin:

18. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

ill be changin some pumpsand postin pics, back in the uknw from egypt, 3 days with the family then its back to SA, will post pics soon

19. jacquesb

Cool Deadmeat! It's not a train-smash to have changed urgently. BUT, I would advise to change the return pump at SOME stage in any case. Just take into account that the chances are highly likely, that your filtration system is not working the way that it SHOULD be, due to too fast water flow through your sump system.

20. regis

regis

21. jacquesb

Many thanks for this, Regis.

Recent Posts