Up flow algae turf scrubber

Looking for something local. Don’t have diy skills and not prepared to order form over the sea and wait more than 2 months for delivery.

Attachments

• IMG_5638.png
    IMG_5638.png
    785.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5637.png
    IMG_5637.png
    684.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Looking for something local. Don’t have diy skills and not prepared to order form over the sea and wait more than 2 months for delivery.
I have a bunch of these units laying a around they R600 each straight 220v and splash proof. All you need to do is just add a plug to the pre cut wires

Attachments

• 20200729_093306.jpg
    20200729_093306.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 82
Managed to get a planted tank led. And did a harvest. Loads of algae on the glass and some on the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_5662.jpg
    IMG_5662.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Algae

Attachments

• IMG_5671.jpg
    IMG_5671.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5672.jpg
    IMG_5672.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
It’s a AKWA led unit for planted tanks. Bought from my local pet shop. Only put it in on Friday so I will give feedback at the next cleaning of the screen. That growth that was harvested was when I was still using the flood led.

So too early to make any observations about the new AKWA led and the display at this stage.

10 days in with the planted led there was no real growth on the glass. Algae had grown nicely on the screen. Green slimy algae growth.

The led had not stuck to the glass properly durning the 10 days and was facing half facing the sump door.

Attachments

• IMG_5719.jpg
    IMG_5719.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
i am so sorry bud , dont give up , i am sure you will come right .

what are your water parameters ? what is the TDS of your RO water ?
are you using anything like purigen ect ?

are you using NSW or salt mix ? how often are you doing water changes and how many L at a time ?

i am so sorry bud , dont give up , i am sure you will come right .

what are your water parameters ? what is the TDS of your RO water ?
are you using anything like purigen ect ?

are you using NSW or salt mix ? how often are you doing water changes and how many L at a time ?

Parameters
Temp 25.1 deg
SG 1.026
Kh 7.7 dKh
Cal 470 ppm
Mag 1230 ppm
No3 undetectable
Po4 0.06 ppm Hanna checker

TDS is zero

I use phosguard and carbon by Seachem.

Also use titanium biocubes in the bomb method for nitrates.

I do small Red Sea blue bucket water changes each week. 5-10% per week.

It’s not maintenance related as I am doing it each week. If I don’t do it I have it done for me by the LFS.

Also upgraded my skimmer. But it is less than a week old.

Attachments

• IMG_5718.jpg
    IMG_5718.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
@Seabass Do you have any algae eating critters? Turbo snails, hermits, etc

Good point, I have about 15 hermits. Lawnmower blenny, but he does nothing.

Lockdown has limited availability of turbo’s. But I definitely will get more turbos once they are available. They do graze well.
Need a good mix of a clean up crew.

I believe that it will disappear but going to take at least 3 months for Upflow ATS will do it’s job.

Skimmer, and other filtration will eventually do its job too. But I can’t really do much more in terms of nutrient export. Don’t want to use nopox.

And input of nutrient is low, 4 fish and feed one a day, not overfeeding.

Coral are target fed 1-2 times a month. Fuel or some frozen mysis for my rics and LPS.

Good point, I have about 15 hermits. Lawnmower blenny, but he does nothing.

Lockdown has limited availability of turbo’s. But I definitely will get more turbos once they are available. They do graze well.
Need a good mix of a clean up crew.

I believe that it will disappear but going to take at least 3 months for Upflow ATS will do it’s job.

Skimmer, and other filtration will eventually do its job too. But I can’t really do much more in terms of nutrient export. Don’t want to use nopox.

And input of nutrient is low, 4 fish and feed one a day, not overfeeding.

Coral are target fed 1-2 times a month. Fuel or some frozen mysis for my rics and LPS.
Seabass why don't you want to use nopox? Have you had a bad experience.?

Seabass why don't you want to use nopox? Have you had a bad experience.?

No 3 and No4 methods I am currently using is working. No need for it. Also trying to get the upflow ats to assist with natural nitrate reduction.

No bad experience with it. Also not ever read about a bad experience that a reefer has had with it, only an overdose which resulted in cloudy tank but that is just a bacterial bloom.

The thing with Nopox, your No3 and Po4 must be in balance from the start, otherwise you are wasting it. Also it is not effective when you stop and start again...if you start, you need to continue to see results.

Back
Top Bottom