Up Close and personal

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals

After reading one of Sihaya's posts about using a Microscope to have a peek at the live sand in our tanks it got me thinking and googling.

I have found this and promptly ordered it http://www.gadgetman.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MAN1000

Now I had a choice I could get a normal 600X microscope for the same price look at my sand and go WTF?
or have this USB one with 200X post the pic and go "hey MASA WTF?" and share what i see.

I am picking it up this morning between D Day suit fittings and a function this afternoon, but by tonight if all goes well we should have some close ups of my sand.

What do you guys think? I am mad? (ok ok dont answer):whistling:

You mad hatter you :p

Looks great, looking forward to some awesome pics, but not just of your sand, corals too, maybe even the teeth on your sailfin :)

That thing looks really cool! Looking forward to some cool pictures...

that looks cool!
but dont worry you are mad :lol:

I'll think I'll have to get my self one of those. You could hook the microscope up permanently to a PC, display it on a large monitor and invent a whole new type of tank, a femto or atto reef, or maybe we could just call it a Kanga reef:thumbup:

Hey, great link, thanks for posting...

Some time ago Intel had a digital microscope on the market - really aimed at kids, but I thought that it could come in handy, and bought one for the tank :)

It did not perform very well (had plastic lenses, and a very bad table) and the software was *really* irritating, with funny sounds, etc. I took it apart after about one week, and just never bothered to re-assemble it...

I've been using a real microscope for some years now, and yes, it opens up a new world for you - it also helps to put many of the reef-keeping practices and theory into a new perspective. I can really recommend one to anyone really keen about this hobby. I would, however, recommend buying a binocular dissection microscope instead of the usual monocular one.

Here are some photos I've taken using a normal digital camera and my cheap monocular microscope...

Diatom algae

Micro%2015.jpg

Small critters (copepods) amongst a Caulerpa leaf

Micro%208.jpg

Unknown critter busy eating detritus

Micro%206.jpg

Bristle worm larvae

Micro%205.jpg

Copepod

Micro%2013.jpg

Copepod close up (x400)

Micro%2014.jpg

Flat worm & micro starfish

Micro%2017.jpg

Live sand

Live%20sand%201.jpg

Close up of sand grain - note how rounded it is, and the microscopic algae growing on it.

Live%20sand%202.jpg

Hennie

Awesome pics hennie.

At my work we use Axiocam on a normal microscope. It's pretty awesome software. No idea how much it costs but I imagine a LOT.

Hey man Hennie those are awesome, my 200X is feels a little small:blushing: I have Microscope envy, I already realise I need something bigger, at least the software is plain and simple But yes this is a toy interesting and good fun but little more than a digital magnifying glass.

"Bristle worm" on live rock
redbristleworm.jpg

redbristle1.jpg

Mollusk from underneath
underneath.jpg

From the top
mussel.jpg

inside my Durso
insidedurso.jpg

Green sponge I have in my tank
greensponge1.jpg

Broken Monti
brokensps.jpg

Dodgy Algea growing on one of my rocks
myalgea.jpg

Pod
pod.jpg

pod1.jpg

Will post more as I play

Dodgy Algea growing on one of my rocks
myalgea.jpg

That's Halimeda, a very desirable macro algae. They incorporate calcium in their "leaves", and can really suck calcium and alkalinity from your water, but apart from that they are quite beneficial, and as they only grow in very good water they are good indicators of water quality. The easyest way to get rid of them if you want to, is to introduce an urchin - they just love Halimeda...

Hennie

That's Halimeda, a very desirable macro algae. They incorporate calcium in their "leaves", and can really suck calcium and alkalinity from your water, but apart from that they are quite beneficial, and as they only grow in very good water they are good indicators of water quality. The easyest way to get rid of them if you want to, is to introduce an urchin - they just love Halimeda...

Hennie

WOW thanks Hennie

Awesome guy's

Kanga = Gill Grisholm ?

Hennie = Horacio Caine

MASA's own RSI (Reef Scene Investigators) :D

Back
Top Bottom