Unknown Zoa issue

Papitto

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a few colonies of zoas in my tank.
A few weeks ago, I added a few other frag plugs with blue steel, rasta and some kind of me on Orange zoas. I had dipped them in Seachem reef dip and found 2 nudis that came off.
Well after quarantine them for 2 weeks I placed them in my dt.

In the last 2 weeks, I have been noticing some zoas polyps melting away. This is on my old colonies. I removed and dipped , used turkey baster to flush flush colonies. Nothing came off except a few bristle stars, asterina stars and bristle worms.
Last night I pulled a rock with a colony of black death and some pink polyps on. I dipped them and observed. The black death are fine, but some of the pink polyps looked like they were eaten from the inside, out. I blasted blasted and blasted the colony. Nothing came out.
When I placed it back in my dt, my 6line was attacking that very spot where the polyps melted/eaten. Like something it could see, that I couldn't. It was going crazy and would leave that spot alone. Like a true hunter.
I can't see anything on the polyps, but parts of th colonies j start melting. I'm puzzled.
Some of the polyps in the tank seem to have their frills curled up fully or on one side, like when aiptasia is touching the frill, but I don't have any on my colonies.

Anybody have experienced this unknown?

NJH

Wrasse
Reaction score
Assuming all water parameters are fine I would try dipping in Coral RX.

NJH

Wrasse
Reaction score
The reefdip is more of a disinfectant and does not kill any pests in my experience. Multiple dips may be needed.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Did you dip it for any unwanted guest?

RiaanP

Reaction score
ok, will not be the bristle worms.
Maybe move it to another spot, in case there is a zoa predator snail hiding within the rocks during the day. OK, the predator would just go for the next closest colony.
Check late at night for anything sitting on the zoa.

Papitto

Chromis
Reaction score
ok, will not be the bristle worms.
Maybe move it to another spot, in case there is a zoa predator snail hiding within the rocks during the day. OK, the predator would just go for the next closest colony.
Check late at night for anything sitting on the zoa.
Oh yes I saw some small snails I have not identified yet. The shells are pearly white, with red markings. Pics below

RiaanP

Reaction score
Maybe a closer picture on a white background. From top and from below.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Do not have my snail books with me, but that is a vegetarian if not mistaken.

RiaanP

Reaction score
OK, I asked my Snail Auntie. According to her we do get these locally as well. Especially in the inter tidal areas. But can also be a hitchhiker on some coral.
Gibbula multicolor

They belong to the family Trochidae and they are vegetarian snails.

Papitto

Chromis
Reaction score
OK, I asked my Snail Auntie. According to her we do get these locally as well. Especially in the inter tidal areas. But can also be a hitchhiker on some coral.
Gibbula multicolor

They belong to the family Trochidae and they are vegetarian snails.
Okay cool thank you @RiaanP

RiaanP

Reaction score
Just note, that due to their small size and that they can successfully breed in your tank, that they can become a menace. Getting sucked into pumps, especially the skimmer.

Niresh

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I can't figure out what is going on. I tried to dip multiple times. Moved them around the tank.
I give up with my zoas. Everything else seems to be fine.