unknown live rock find

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by MRG, 17 Aug 2013.

1. MRG

MRG

Good day.
    I noticed some i would call it tentacles coming out from my live rock i bought a week ago. its too small to take a picture of i have tried to but its too blurred. i would say it looks a little like a bristle worm but its a group of 3 coming out of the small hole in the rock. I have looked up about aiptasia too but to me does not seem like it unless its just a small one hiding for now.
    thank you :)
    mike

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JohanB

JohanB

could be small brittle star fish if itis long tenticles, or tube worms.

4. MRG

MRG Thread Starter

how small can the bristle star fish be because the holes around maybe 4mm big but don't know how big it is beneath the hole. and colour of the 'tentacles' is white
    thanks

5. MRG

MRG Thread Starter

this is the best i can do with the picture for now
    thanks

P1000077.jpg

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 17 Aug 2013
  7. MRG

MRG Thread Starter

thanks Belindamotion i will keep an eye on it and see if i can see the full creature at some time i just sit and watch the tank :blush: when i have time. it tends to pull just a single 'antenna' back and very 'spiky' all the way along. looks white with spots almost if i get very close but still very small 'antenna's' and i think i just found a few aiptasia on the top of same rock lol plenty unwanted critters caught a ride into my new nano.

P1000080.jpg

8. HaroldF

HaroldF

I've got about 13 of these little micro brittle stars living in just one liverock I've added 3 weeks ago.... If you can clearly see the bristles on the leg and its got stripes I'm almost 100% sure its a brittle starfish....mine is very shy of light....when the lights are off , they come out of the hole, but as soon as I shine a flashlight on it , it quickly moves back into the hole.... see attached photo of one of my brittles legs...taken 10 seconds ago

uploadfromtaptalk1376751114771.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1376751179380.jpg

9. MRG

MRG Thread Starter

thanks HaroldF i am almost certain now what i have is not a micro brittle starfish now. these antenna are definitely not the same size or anatomy of the star fish legs.
    thanks

10. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Do they retract quickly if you disturb them? If so it may be a small mantis shrimp.

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Brittlestar I reckon. Loads of species and the one in your pic looks identical to mine.

12. JacoD01

JacoD01

Definitely brittle stars.
    I have a magnitude of them in my live rock.
    And at night, they come out to play.

13. MRG

MRG Thread Starter

Albert Terego thanks but the 'antenna's' just pull themselves down against the rock holes not big enough to retract into. could it be some type of coral ? does not seem to be brittle stars but i don't truly know only time will tell i guess.
    thanks everyone

14. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Still difficult to get a decent pic..? Have you tried putting food out to see if it will come out...? Picture is what we really need to ID this little bugger...:p

15. MRG

MRG Thread Starter

the problem is that is all i can get or see is 3 sometimes 2 of those 'antenna's' the animal is just seeming to be those little things i am leaning towards worms maybe will pull out the camera and try again

16. MRG

MRG Thread Starter

okay so i took some more pictures hope its better but still too small and could i say that white tube with the fan coming out of it is a feather duster worm ?
    thanks

id.jpg

id2.jpg

P1000086.jpg

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

IMO live rock is so last decade and has so many cons...... besides the environmental thing, there are so many issues involved down the line.

18. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I dunno, I find that LR is one of the most fun things in the hobby. It's a lucky dip of interesting stuff (if you use pretty fresh rock). I like biodiversity in my tanks. It's cool to see various macroalgae sprouting out and spotting weird stuff at night with a torch.

Not to say that the synthetic stuff isn't a good idea, but depending on the tank I think some natural adds a lot of interest.

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

A bit irrelevant to the conversation in this thread. But don't you always approve of harvesting live rock from the ocean instead of "diy" rock because you say it is so much more renewable than synthetically made rock?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2013
  20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Freshly imported live rock can be beneficial. If only the good guys survived the transit. Unknown crabs and mantis shrimps being the worst of critters to introduce to your system. So its a trade off, getting nice to haves like brittle stars and copepods VS crabs and their friends.

The bacteria colony, OK the portion that survived the transit is nice to have. Those who died all causes the cycle process. Including all dead sponges, worms, crabs and what not.

Man made rock will not be as porous than real liverock. Man made rock will also be heavier per volume. 10kg base rock fill one container where you can find 10kg liverock fill up 2 of the same container. And the same kg rock, the man made rock could disperse more water than the double volume liverock, due to the porous characteristics of both.

But you will not find nice critters on man made rock. Like micro brittle stars. And you stand the same change to introduce a crab from a new coral as from new liverock. Unless you quarantine and inspect new corals.

21. Braco

Braco

I prefer liverock for it's bio-diversity..and so does rocks with corals attach also add the unknown to the reef tank..i have had pistol shrimps to baby zebra mantis and mostly unwanted crabs added...thank goodness i caught the pistol and mantis shrimp before it was too late...the crabs well my rock with zoa's has three of them...and then my fuji rock has the biggest one...at the bottom of the tank..besides the unwanted there are also the millions of other organisms which are beneficial additions..besides the volume of micro algae which comes with it as well..the real McCoy any day for me...:blush:

Recent Posts