Unique sump design, will it work?

Reaction score
Have been thinking over the last couple of days how to neatly and compactly integrate a skimmer, CARX reactor, Algae screen, cooling and DSB into one clean design. I have already tested the screen and cooling idea and found them both to be a huge success. So now it is time to move on to the finished design from the prototype I currently run, I want to build this to replace my current sump and run a auto top-up with it.

Water will first flow into the skimmer chamber, then into the in sump CARX's chamber and from there into the last chamber where the screen and return pump together with a DSB will be housed. The pumps will both be placed into a small chamber to keep the sand away from the pumps.

76049368f0aa0c93.jpg

Don't have the money at this stage as there is a wedding coming up in the near future but maybe I will strike it lucky somewhere soon...:whistling: What do you guys think about this design, will it be effective?

and your retur pump?

why is the CArx internal? they dont have to be, well they not ment to be i think

i think you DSB would need to be bigger. You may want to make your sump longer, then have your algae scrubber running along it, that would help i guess. I'm not so sure about the carx myself but i dont know much about it so i will just leave it at that. Would be nice to see what happens

Nice idea, but without seing some sort of dimension, the DSB looks to shallow, would need to be at least 120mm deep, Also don't understand your CaRX, is it just going to be a normal unit insump? if so I would rather leave it outside and use the space for other things?

Would 2 fans be enough? as the lights are going to generate so much heat aleady, maybe 3 fans? I personaly would only use the 12volt fans, especialy when so close to water

And what happens when the power trips? Water will flood out throught the fans?
Are 6 T8 lights really needed?
Why not use a light unit for a nano tank. A lot better.

Have seen a CARX run like this, think Reef Maniac's work this way, can't really remember-Alzheimers! The screen would run length wise does'nt look like it, but it will be wider, probably 100cm L x 45cm W. Want it all in-sump because of space issues, need the remaining space for a auto top-up container. The Dsb will be approx 100cmx 20cm, think it will be enough due to a large surface area. Here is another pick from the front:

7604936a5b7463da.jpg

Will also be running a DIY hang-on refugium where the return pump's outlet will be connected. This will be filled with crushed coral and some caulerpa.:yeahdude:

I will be going for the 220v's due to their effectivity, using one at the moment and dropped the temp by 4 deg! This is not the final dimensions though, will make the DSB 12,5cm deep using seasand. Valid point Riian! Think I will have to play around with ballvalve or two...

if the sump is 45cm wide, you will have two compartments down the length of the sump, both about 22.5cm wide. Then the skimmer is about 20cm wide, having the CARX also at 20cm wide, giving a wasted space of 60cm length on the one side of the sump. ???
Rather redraw to actual size, and then replace everything. Also DSB about 15 cm needs another 15cm water above, that is 30, and then you are already seriously running out of space.
Also move the pc fans to the top, angled in. A lot saver and you will not drown the fans when the power fails.

Back
Top Bottom