Understanding the info on the salt bucket

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VicZA, 13 Oct 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

@Nemos Janitor

I use Red Sea Coral Pro and looking closely at the information on the bucket am a little confused. If I wanted to keep SPS/Giant Clams the info states that:

Salinity = 35.0ppt, Alk = 12.5dKH, Ca = 465ppm, Mg = 1390ppm (taking the mid-range values)

What does this actually mean ? Are these the values you should strive for ? Are these the values present in this salt ?

If I put these values into the Reef Chemistry Calculator ('Reef Chemistry Calculator FV') it suggests that my values are too high and I have entered into Zone 1.

Need some clarification please ....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jimilutz

jimilutz

I think those are the typical values of the actual salt once mixed. It worked well for me when I was doing large water changes and not dosing Ca/Mg/Alk , but have since changed to a lighter mixture and slowed down the WCs and started dosing.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

When the guys from red sea where out here they explained these parameters are what the salt mixed at 35ppt would give you these parameters.
    They also stated the pro salt is best to achieve maximum growth in sps frags and clams. typically those found in a young tank (ie a tank with high nutrients)

they went on to say that when a tank matures and starts entering the low nutrients stage of its life, they recommended switching to their regular brand of salt.

dallasg likes this.
Recent Posts