Understanding mixing salt poll

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 11 Mar 2014.

Voter count: 43
?

Which measurement method do you use to mix your saltwater

Poll closed 10 Apr 2014.
  1. SG of a ATC Salinity refractometer calibrated to 4C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SG of a ATC Salinity refractometer calibrated to 15,56c (60f)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SG of a ATC Salinity refractometer calibrated to 20C

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. SG of a ATC Salinity refractometer calibrated to 25C

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. SG of a ATC Salinity refractometer and i don't know or care about temperature

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  6. The Salinity scale in ppt on a ATC Salinity refractometer

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  7. SG on a Hydrometer and I understand the temperature corrections and can convert SG to Salinity.

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  8. SG on a hydrometer but don't understand the relevance of temperature correction

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  9. uS/cm on a conductivity meter and understand how to convert to Salinity or SG

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This pole is to get an idea as to the understanding that MASA members have in mixing their synthetic salt. Be that a premium brand or a budget brand, or natural sea water. It is specifically biased towards the measurement of the saline content of the water. Mixing methods are not important.

Salt brands differ in their composition and mixing recommendations. Please do not refer to any brands but you can refer to "my brand recommends......."

All, please participate, no matter if you are a green newbie, a newbie, a old newbie, a ex newbie, seasoned reefer or guru. Your input will be extremely valuable in accessing how members understand this basic skill.

The outcome of this pole can be used to help those that do not fully understand what the mixing instructions mean and how to cross reference the different saline measurement methods to the measurement equipment you have. This equipment you have could be a very low budget instrument to a high end expensive model. It does not matter. What matters is that you get the best out of you equipment, you understand what your equipment is measuring, and that we all talk the same language without confusion or complication.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2014
    irie ivan likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Hahaha! Was waiting for this one!!!
    Thanks Keith!
    You left out tasting!! The good old tongue tip test ;)
    Seriously, great poll.
    Please include digital atc bench top refracto...

Last edited: 11 Mar 2014
  4. irie ivan

I want to select more than one option

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Yes :beatdeadhorse5:

I will persist....:p

6. irie ivan

What you resist, will persist.. Irrelevant, but not

7. jclaas

jclaas

My method is not displayed on the pole :).

I use SG on a swing arm hydrometer within its recommended temperature range and understand the salinity conversion.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2014
  8. Nemos Janitor

@viper357 we can either leave this post here or move to another thread. you guys decide.

This post is for members that want to mix their salt consistently but cannot afford a fancy state of the art seawater refractometer or conductivity meter. And also do not understand all the dynamics involved in hydrometer or salinity measurement.

Lets look at a newbie that has just returned from the LFS with a bucket of salt and a R60.00 hydrometer. The LFS has just told him to just add salt until the hydrometer reads 1,025. Sounds familer right. Now the newbie has no idea that temperature will effect the SG reading. He has also just opend the bucket of Red sea pro salt and reads that one can mix the salt to different Salinites depending on what setup he wants to keep.
    Coral Pro Salt is ideal for sustainable, accelerated coral growth.

The newbie decides he wants to just keep a few soft corals and a few inverts and that a salinity of 33ppt is recommended. Now the newbie askes himself. How to mix to a salinity of 33ppt? My hydrometer only reads SG :confused1:

Well it is actually very easy and uncomplicated and very accurate. Will keep you consistently mixing to the same salinity and is also very budget friendly. :biggrin:

Just follow these steps.

1) Place the amount of RO water you want to make up in a container.
    2) Put the hydrometer in the water and measure the temperature of the water. Hydrometers have a thermometer in them for this purpose. (We will use a temperature of 21C for this example)
    3) Open this table... http://www.nycswcd.net/files/Salinity%20SG%20conversion%20table.pdf
    4) Run your finger along the top until you come to the Colum which says 21C
    5) Go down the 21C Colum until you get to the block that is closest to 33ppt
    6) Follow the line to the left and read off the SG (1,024)
    7) Mix the salt until the hydrometer shows 1,024 and you have a salt water mixed to a salinity of 33ppt.

That easy :1:

The next time you want to make up water for a water change same procedure. Measure the temperature of the make up water. This time it is 28C. go to the 28c Colum and find the closest to 33ppt (32,6ppt) read off the SG on the left which is 1,022 and make up the water to 1,022. your salinity will be extremely close and consistent with every batch of water you make up. And you can proudly state that you run your tank at a SALINITY of 33ppt and everyone will know exactly what you are referring to. :thumbup:

If you want to find out what your salinity in your tank is? use the same table. This time you read off the temperature and SG on the hydrometer and find the Salinity block.

Because this table is rather large some reefers extrapolate readings to their preferred salinity and hand write out a short table they refer to conveniently.

Some reefers might say "but my salt brand refers to SG". Well if the brand is worth their salt :p they will refer to the SG temperature. Use the same table this time referring to the SG on the left and find the temperature they refer to and you can read off the salinity in ppt.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2014
  9. Nemos Janitor

I want to thank those reefers that have voted so far and urge others to do so. I also want to assure all that no member can see who voted for which option and it is irrelevant in any case.

Every other day I will go through each option thoroughly for the newbie and/or experienced reefer.

If you have voted for an option and want me to clarify or explain something specific that you are not sure about when I address the option. You can either request in this thread or PM me. I will not respond via PM as others might have a similar question, but I will not divulge your ID in the question answered here.

Mods @viper357 please confirm that on one can see who polled for what option.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Seems like it, I can't see who's voted so I assume no-one else can. :) Sadly the poll editing options we have are beyond useless, so if a poll is done wrong a whole new one needs to be done from scratch. :(

11. Nemos Janitor

Thank you Dean. Yes I wanted the pole to be anonymous.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

poll not pole,

We are voting, not dancing around a silver pipe. :tt2:

13. Zandy

Zandy

Just to add to this. We had a experience with a calibrated refractometer ATC (calibrated with RO) and stupid as it may sound everytime we took the reading we looked at under the MH lights over the tank. No realizing that the heat from the MH lights influenced our reading. This baffled us for a good 2 hours until we realised it.

14. Zandy

Zandy

giggle..... NOT ??? lol ....:slayer:

Must be his spell checker !!!

15. Nemos Janitor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Nemos Janitor

This poll is now closed and has brought fore a few interesting observations. Before I go there, Members would also be interested in comments on the results of the poll.:) Please post your comment.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2014
Recent Posts