Understanding Indo Pacific Species

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Jaco Schoeman, 16 Nov 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi All

Personally I think many reefers, including myself are still purchasing species of fish and coral on impulse. Yes, we might think we know all the feeding requirements, flow and lighting requirements of species, but what about where they are found in the ocean?

I have just had a look at what exactly the Indo-Pacific means, and interestingly enough, I found that this is just a grouping word for three different types of ocean areas. On the map below you will see how far they stretch, so it is possible that species we keep will never even be found in the same water. This makes one consider finding out what part of the ocean you want to keep, and only stocking these coral. By just saying "I have an Indo-Pacific setup" is like saying "I drive a car"

I would imagine that more controll over species can be managed by sticking to the same "Sea" species, rather than just throwing everything that looks nice into the same aquarium.

Here's the info from Wiki:

[​IMG]

SubdivisionsThe WWF and Nature Conservancy divide the Indo-Pacific into three realms (or subrealms), and each of these into a number of marine provinces.
    Western Indo-Pacific

The Western Indo-Pacific realm covers the western and central portion of the Indian Ocean, including the East coast of Africa, the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Persian Gulf, Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, and Andaman Sea.
    Central Indo-Pacific

The Central Indo-Pacific includes the numerous seas and straits connecting the Indian and Pacific oceans, including the seas surrounding the Indonesian archipelago (with the exception of Sumatra's northwest coast, which is part of the Western Indo-Pacific), the South China Sea, the Philippine Sea, the north coast of Australia, and the seas surrounding New Guinea, western and central Micronesia, New Caledonia, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, and Tonga. The Central Indo-Pacific, due in part to its central location at the meeting of two oceans, has the greatest diversity of corals and mangroves.
    Eastern Indo-Pacific

The Eastern Indo-Pacific surrounds the mostly volcanic islands of the central Pacific Ocean, extending from the Marshall Islands through central and southeastern Polynesia to Easter Island and Hawaii.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

Nice post dude!

Recent Posts