Undergravel filter removal question

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by amalick, 21 Dec 2008.

1. amalick

amalick

It seems that almost everyone on this forum does not recommend using UGF's. Mine has been running for some time now but admitedly I contnue to battle with a higher nitratre level that I would like. Would it be a very bad idea to just remove the power heads that run the UGF from the uplift tubes and use them purely as circulation pumps.

I do have other means of filtration already running- Fluidized bed filter, Algea scrubber, Skimmer, UV, etc..

Nitrites = 0
    PH = 8.5
    PO4 = 0.5mg/l
    Calcium = 400ppm

So everythings fine except for Nitrate which is at 50mg/l

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

it could be and has been done in the past and is known as a plenum system... i would worry about cavity below the filter plates silting up and am not sure what would happen to the sand bed after that has occured.. lets wait for some other opinions.

4. keyaam

keyaam

I heard that fluidized bed filters are nitrate factories.

5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Just remove the pumps from the UGF, leave the UGF under your substrate and it will act as a plenum like Leslie mentioned. IMO this would have far less of a negative impact on the system than removing it and disturbing the tank in doing so.

6. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Fluidized Bed filter

Keyaam - I thinks its purely due to the fluidized bed filter that my NITRITES remain at zero. Its not a very big one so I i'm not too convinced that its tyhe source of my nitrate problem. The UGF however is the entire base of a 1,7m tank which is a huge surface area for nitrates to accumulate.

I've taken the leap of faith and removed the power heads from the UGF uplift tubes. I will monitor parameters closely over the next few weeks and keep the forum informed. Hopefully with good news so that others can reap the benefits if it works.

7. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Removing UGF has had a positive effect

I'm happy to report that by removing my power heads from the UGF uplift tubes I have seen a drop in nitraes. Not sure whether its because of my newly introduced Algea Scrubber, but then again who cares. Nitrates are dropping and now I have more circulation in my tank because the power heads are running free flow.:thumbup:

8. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Good man.

9. sunburst

sunburst

:thumbup::yeahdude:

10. keyaam

keyaam

Well done:thumbup:

Recent Posts