Under tank vs fishroom sump

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Wizard$, 26 Jul 2013.

1. Wizard$

Wizard$

Hi

This might seem like a strange question because I always thought that if you could place all your sump and filtration equipment in a seperate "fish room", this was first prize, as seen in most professional installations. My new tank build will be in my lounge, which is next a storage room (where I already have my RO unit installed)so going for this kind of setup is feasible, with minimal effort. New display tank will be approx 2m by 800 wide by 650 high.The most obvious drawbacks I see would be
    1.Not being able to quickly view skimmer, overflow, refugium or other equipment when viewing tank
    2. Additional plumbing and 90 degree bends that would be required that negatively impact flow

Is there anything else to consider?

The second uncertainty I have is external vs internal skimmers. External looks very neat, and you do not have any residual heat from the pump in your sump, but surely there could be flow issues as it relies on your overflow to be 100% consistent?

All comments are welcome.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shan

shan

4. Wizard$

Wizard$ Thread Starter

Thanks @shan, yep, it's exactl;y this setup that has me leaning towards putting sump in seperate room. Just wanted to know reefers views on pros and cons - one thing I've learned about this hobby - research, research and research!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Dian6430

Dian6430

My 2c worth ill also go with a sump room.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Being able to do your maintenance remotely helps a lot in keeping the non-reefer happy. Less spills on the floor. Easier water changes, No bumping of your head. Loads of space. Less noise from under the tank.

Issues like plumbing going through the wall needs to be sorted out neatly. And remote on and off switch the return pump would be nice.

7. pkc

pkc

There are no cons,I wouldn’t have it any other way.
    The reasons the bio system is better elsewhere are beyond what could be counted, the pros for under the aquarium are zero!!!!
    The little room I made of 7 foot by 15 feet is cooled and vented and even the household lights in there are LEDs.
    Tools, junk, my quarantine tubs and large NWMS to take the same waters never changed to ocean quality.
    The tanks are in the wall like picture frames and everything is behind them, no water changes just total success with all reef life.
    The more room the more water conditioning!
    Run two pipes and you can do this a hundred feet away or in the garage or two bedrooms away if you like.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2013
  8. Wizard$

Wizard$ Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Best thing about a remote sump in a seperate room, is you can have all your "junk" out of sight, & spilling water is not an issue...
    You probably wont find anyone who has kept a tank with a sump that hasnt at some time have an overflowing skimmer flood the entire room, etc...
    A floor drain is a good idea in a remote sump room.

Its also great to have your quarantine tanks in this room, as it makes it easier to monitor livestock!

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

My secret is simplicity, easier to fix, keep clean. So whether a room or under tank sump, keep it simple and manageable

11. pkc

pkc

I don’t use a skimmer; not for over 20 years now, I used to make my own wood stone skimmers and then onto the venturi when they came out here.
    I use only natural functions with in what is a very complicated system that I developed from extensive trials and experiments for my 33 years at reefing and making my own everything.
    A skimmer is actually detrimental to my systems out comes.
    I have been fortunate and I have never given in, as I have always had access to unlimited marine life to experiment with to see what is what, with everything.
    Skimmers to the novice reefer or to those that have not found the true value of natural functions are of value.
    Near no reefers know how to balance nutitrents, so a skimmer is good to remove some of what will become those nutrients before they can possibly ruin your hobby.
    Just one thing most don’t realise, your skimmer with the way reefers are advised to use them is subjected to particles that reduce the skimmers potential, watch that impellor area or even the skimmer will ruin your hobby.

12. Trasique

Trasique tahir

Is there a link to your tank or a build thread? I would like to see your tank and the systems in place without a skimmer running.

13. pkc

pkc

This is when I first made this system that I had been planning on paper for some years.
    I have streamlined a few things over the last two years,but it is all the same function's still today.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t884-my-first-glass-aquarium-in-two-yearsa-moderately-eutrophic-system#2902

The second tank went in.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1418p30-my-second-glass-tank-in-years-connected-to-the-nwmsa-moderately-eutrophic-system

The cyclone near Auz day of 28/01/2013 wiped out some of my tank life and I had to start again, no harm to my system, just some life lost.
    Two very valuable fish sadly and some of fav inverts as well!

This is the top tank from after cyclone to last month. I will be putting in fresh pics each six months.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1881-my-top-tank-after-the-power-outage-of-february-2013

I have built one for a friend exactly the same and it doesn’t work, he wont apply himself to the things it needs to function properly, just 5 mins a day and it can be left for ten days if away when need be.
    Two others have tried to build their own and they don’t work, each tiny part of this if not in place and used in absolutely the correct ways, then it doesn’t work!
    Except for my wife’s freshwater system I built which is similar, this is all of my hobby these days.
    I just took some pics.
    Storeroom
    [​IMG]

tubs
    [​IMG]

system
    [​IMG]

Both tanks
    [​IMG]
    top tank,mainly inverts
    [​IMG]
    bottom tank,mainly fish and mobile inverts
    [​IMG]

14. pkc

pkc

Some twit from one of our forums over here once said, well what about the scum/foam on the beaches, that’s like a skimmer, he is an idiot, there are no similarities at all!
    It is organic matter, but that scum/foam actually kills a lot of marine life when it occurs because who empties that cup????
    Everything in nature is either used or converted and then used, that’s how you don’t need a skimmer, if you use nature’s functions.
    A skimmer is like a rubbish truck that comes and picks up your rubbish, I recycle all of mine!

Recent Posts