uncured live rock

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Eugenemone, 15 Nov 2012.

1. Eugenemone

Eugenemone

Hey guys
    Will uncured live rock be hazardous to my livestock? my tank is still cycling but I want to be sure before adding livestock and making these amazing creatures suffer because of my lack of information:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok, I am confused, what creatures are you talking about, do you have LS in your tank, or are you referring to your current live rock? You shouldn't have any live stock while you are cycling.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The point of cycling is to mature the uncared liverock. As long as you let the cycle run its course before adding any livestock, then there is nothing wrong with adding incurred liverock.

5. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

The key is to check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. When ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm and nitrates start dropping then your tank has finished cycling. I'd recommend waiting until your nitrates are at least below 10ppm before adding any livestock.

I think starting a tank with uncured live rock is a good thing, although of course your cycle will be longer

6. Eugenemone

Eugenemone Thread Starter

thanks guys, I am being patient,I will hold off adding livestok until the cycle has run its course and values are right. Im also not sure what salt I should be using, I bought 'red sea pro' salt to start, any suggestions ?

7. 459b

You could also add a good bacterial supplement to help the cycle along.
    Nothing wrong with red Sea coral pro. Find a brand that suits your tanks inhabitants and your wallet.

8. Eugenemone

Eugenemone Thread Starter

thanks mate, I was reading on the SERA website and learnt about their bio reef clear, I have added some of that as per instructions.:)Ive noticed that there is not a lot of talk about sera products on this forum, is it a good brand or should i rather steer clear?

9. 459b

Never used Sera products so cant comment. They are a well known brand so doubt theres anything wrong with their products.

Recent Posts