Uncured live rock at set-up

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by GI Marine, 9 Apr 2010.

1. GI Marine

GI Marine

Need some advice, I have read that you have to first full the tank with the sea water (mix) run the system for a week and then add the uncured live rock. Somewhere else I read you can add the uncured live rock and sea water at the same time and start the system. Which is more correct or doesn't it matter?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Hi GI Marine...I have always added both at the same time...I cant see the use of cycling seawater only

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

The only time that I would wait a short while longer, if the uncured live rock actually contains corals and some nice sponges that you would like to keep.

Otherwise, I would say "ditto" to Frans' statement.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cycling a tank, is not about the water. Yes there are bacteria live in the water. But it is insignificant compared to the live that should form in the rock. Cured or uncured. You are actually cycling the rocks. So add them all in one go. Unless there is something you want to keep on the rock. But then you need to leave that piece of rock at the LFS or where ever for that week.

Recent Posts