Unconventional ideas that work

Reaction score
Guys we all have tried something unconventional on our setups ,some which work,some which fail.I was thinking it would be great to hear of ideas which actually worked out well.To start of with I was looking for a quiet pump to use as a return from my sump.Tried 3 or 4 pumps until I found a Laguna pond pump.This pump comes in a big bulky strainer basket, no problem I dumped the basket.This pump runs so quiety you cant even tell its running.So now I have a pond pump as my return .

My favourite is exposing corals to air during water changes. Got a thread here somewhere about it.................
Lots of research still required, but I believe there are some merits, albeit rsiky!

Not quite unconventional, but surge devices/dump buckets, the mot overlooked yet efficient methods of creating flow for reef crest corals.

How bout having a thread for unconventional methods that didn't work, or maybe 'Don't try this at home'...I've got plenty of those:lol:

usless experiments try t kill an aptasia by inserting sand into its mouth to block from eating and t strangle it

nope nothing yet, just the baked bicarb instead of the expensive ph buffer from lfs.

using pratley putty to seal a corner of a leaking tank from the inside

Tried 3 or 4 pumps until I found a Laguna pond pump.This pump comes in a big bulky strainer basket, no problem I dumped the basket.This pump runs so quiety you cant even tell its running.So now I have a pond pump as my return .

I've used two of them myself some years back, and they do work great :thumbup:

Just one word of warning - there used to be two types of Laguna pumps, the 'hobby' range and the 'pond' range (not sure if this is still the case...). The 'pond' range of pumps have small brass (I think) inserts (nuts) into which the casing screws are screwed - these could react with the salt water, and increase the copper level of the water.

I solved this problem by covering the nuts with silicone before screwing in the casing screws. Used these pumps for about 4 years without any problems, and still have them as backup pumps, nearly 10 years after buying them.

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom