Umhlanga light house tidal pools

Reaction score
hi everyone :)

ive been down to the umhlanga light house tidal pools
just for alil while, managed to see some live stocks in the tidal pools,

ive taken out couple of snaps with my cell but it aint 100% clarity,
ive seen a couple lawnmower blennies along side what looked like a nennie,
ive attached a picture, bare with me it aint too clear,

from the pic below attached to the rock is this kind of nennie, could it be a nennie?
it has the structure of a nennie but the tentacle doesnt move freely with the current
and the head looks more spikey but not stiff in its make up.

104348c4beedf0b32.jpg

below was a fish that was trapped in a pool that were like 4 ft / 5ft below so i had to zoom down to get a picture, its structural colour was blackish grey and white stripes,it was of about 12cm / 15cm in length

104348c4bec75e132.jpg
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/imagehosting/104348c4bec75e132.jpg

guys below were snails i saw on rocks, tell me are these the same turbo snails and
could they also be used in a tank or are they bad for your tank

104348c4be902e4b1.jpg
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/imagehosting/104348c4be902e4b1.jpg

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/imagehosting/104348c4bea42f69e.jpg
104348c4bea42f69e.jpg

trust me guys this were not a planned day to the beach but were merely passing by ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
that nenny is a rock pool nennie - not something that people keep in their tanks but i have seen maybe 2 people keep them. They are hell to get out.

i cannot really see the pic but from what you say, i would say it is a convict

thanx shan, sorry bout the pic quality, had to take pic with my phone camera,
it looked as it had been properly fastened to the rock, wpuld you get any good nennie is rock pools

The snail is reefsafe. Got a few in my tank.
Try diving there on Spring low.There are some nice specimens. Or should i say there was before all the construction started taking place.

thanx mek, the snails do contain very colourful shells, area from the light house to the pier is closed due to construction, hey mek tell me do i really have to dive in order to find some speciemens ,cos remember i said :whistling: i cant swim:razz:

Yeah the snails do a good job at helping keep the growth down I have quite a few of them....

thanx kalks there were so much
of these snails on the rocks , plenty, but also tell me
do they breed often if so will your tank become over infested by the snails?

I have not seen any eggs or small snails in my system they have been in there for 8 months so not to sure. mek have yours reproduced????

hey mek tell me do i really have to dive in order to find some speciemens ,cos remember i said :whistling: i cant swim:razz:
As long as you can put on a goggle and snorkle and stick your head under a rock, you'll beable to catch fish. You will be surpised what stunning specimens can be found in knee deep water.

thanx mek, i will be on the look out for them fish, so tell me mek,with these eggs what are you going to do once they mature and infest your tank?

Excellent food for your system!;) I have a couple of Stomatella snails in my tank which frequently release eggs into the water, the cardinals go and hang over them and gulps the eggs as it is being released, corals go crazy as well!!

:) in that case i guess its controlled ...

hey kalks guess this is why you aint foun them over populating or found eggs in your tanks cos them fis and corals of yours have snacked them up .... :)

you can get good nennies from the rock pools but watch out as they eat fish. you will need to feed it and if you are looking, try and find one that is not in a crack or hole - as i said above, they are a mission to get out

yes shan i remmember
guess ill have to look really good, tell me what do they eat

Back
Top Bottom