Ultra Violence

Reaction score
I am so undecided about UV filters, please give me your take/s on pro's and con's of running UV.

I have noticed there are so many different sizes, but the units actually don't say what volume tank it should be used for etc.

oh ok. yeah the kill of nearly every thing that passes through them. good or bad bacteria and single celled algea(correct me if im wrong). this is why they should be used for only a few hours aday. im no guru but thats my understanding.

All advice I could give is to make sure you buy a unit with a quartz sleeve if you decide to buy one. They do kill lots of the small critters and I'm of the opinion they they are not a good choice for reef tanks.

UV does work and certainly does have its place in a system, there are pro's and con's to using it almost like everything else in the hobby but at the end of the day it can help keep algae, white spot etc under control and also helps polish the water quite nicely. So yeah used 4hrs on, 4hrs off not too many ill effects. There are more positive than negative effects with the use of UV.

i run a UV on my system.only switch it on when i introduce new fish, and normally run it for 8 hours a day

Nothing wrong in running ultra violet. I run 24/7 and I am sure a lot of other guys will confirm that they do as well. As a matter of fact in The Reef Aquarium voloume 3 Delbeeck and Sprung they state that "Aside from the potential of heating the water in a small system, there is no harm in using one, and the reduction in pathogens may be beneficial"

Last edited:
Nothing wrong in running ultra violate. I run 24/7 and I am sure a lot of other guys will confirm that they do as well. As a matter of fact in The Reef Aquarium voloume 3 Delbeeck and Sprung they state that "Aside from the potential of heating the water in a small system, there is no harm in using one, and the reduction in pathogens may be beneficial"

Will it help controlling Cyano???

All advice I could give is to make sure you buy a unit with a quartz sleeve if you decide to buy one. They do kill lots of the small critters and I'm of the opinion they they are not a good choice for reef tanks.

please explain quartz sleeve ? Will the actual UV unit state that it has this ?

Any comments on size ?

I am so undecided about UV filters, please give me your take/s on pro's and con's of running UV.

I have noticed there are so many different sizes, but the units actually don't say what volume tank it should be used for etc.

I too still haven't come to a conclusion about whether I want one on my planned bigger system or not. No one seems to have a clear answer to the good vs bad question.

please explain quartz sleeve ? Will the actual UV unit state that it has this ?

Any comments on size ?

A quartz sleeve is a tube protecting the actual uv bulb from the saltwater. Without this sleeve, your bulbs won't last that long and at +- R200 to R300 for a 55W bulb could become expensive. a 55w unit treats 25 000L - koi pond, not sure about how much it will treat on a marine tank. I'll see if I can find out from the suppliers tomorrow. you get units ranging from 8 to 55w - (8,15,30,55)

A quartz sleeve is a tube protecting the actual uv bulb from the saltwater. Without this sleeve, your bulbs won't last that long and at +- R200 to R300 for a 55W bulb could become expensive. a 55w unit treats 25 000L - koi pond, not sure about how much it will treat on a marine tank. I'll see if I can find out from the suppliers tomorrow. you get units ranging from 8 to 55w - (8,15,30,55)

Thanks cybervic, I would really appreciate. I saw three different units yesterday, from baseball bat size down to PSP size. And they were going for a bargain.

And 11w 13w 18w etc. Warr you should not go more than say 13w on your system with between 1200 and 1800l powerhead.

Back
Top Bottom