Ultra Black Onyx Breeding

Reaction score
Hello all!
So, I was able to obtain a mated pair of Ultra Black Onyx Clownfish and a rare Rose Anemone. I only have the two fish, the anemone and live rock in the tank. I felt it was best to keep the tank as stress free as I can. Temp 76, pH 7.8, salinity 1.026, light Kessil A80 Tuna Blue.
I've seen the clownfish do the dance and chase each other which i believe are signs of spawning. They love to host the anemone. I think I've had these beautiful fish for about 2 weeks. I haven't seen any eggs yet though. Hopefully it's due to them still getting settled in the tank idk.

I have a 5g tank to siphon larvae in once eggs hatch. My idea is to keep the water params all most 100% the same by siphoning. I have a 5g bucket to I can grow rotifers in and looking at Brine as well.
I also have x2 10g tanks to move them to once they are able to be moved.
My questions are: Do you think this is normal for them to not have laid eyes yet, and how many times a day should I feed these amazing fish. I feed once a day now. Lights on from 0900 to 2030.
Sorry about blue light on second photo, just wanted to show the hosting...

20180114_181751.jpg

1515972742410402293704.jpg

Reaction score
I had a mated pair of clowns for about a year and they constantly did the dance but never spawned. I think it was because I wasn't feeding enough, I would say feed yours 3 to 4 times per day and a varied diet if you want them to spawn. One of the clowns should be visibly larger than the other, thats the female. Once they have settled and are super relaxed and eating a lot there is no reason why they shouldn't spawn. Also make sure water stays good with the heavy feeding. That's the easy part, raising the fry is the challenge. I know there are a few experience clown breeders here who could maybe contribute. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Try and and search in what natural habitat do they breed in i used to feed my clowns 3 times a day bump temp up to 27/28°c and stil took a while before spawning

Reaction score
for maximum fertility, you need to feed variety of food, small amounts up to 6 times a day,
I would also put a pot next to Anemone for them to lay the eggs on,
Constant feeding and good water condition is key to get them to lay,

Reaction score
I've never in my life been able to get my tank pH above 7.8. I do not like to use chemicals though. I'm not sure why it's so low. Even my mixed reef is 7.8.
I am getting a 4" pot for the eggs though. I'm feeding Reef Frenzy now and going to try Whose Your Daddy this week. It's supposed to entice them the spawn.
So y'all think feed 3-6 times a day?

Reaction score
I've never in my life been able to get my tank pH above 7.8. I do not like to use chemicals though. I'm not sure why it's so low. Even my mixed reef is 7.8.
I am getting a 4" pot for the eggs though. I'm feeding Reef Frenzy now and going to try Whose Your Daddy this week. It's supposed to entice them the spawn.
So y'all think feed 3-6 times a day?
Yes the constant and variety of feeding is the key, where are you based? not SA i assume, seeing you have access to Reef Frenzy :m01:

Reaction score
No, not AS. I hope it's ok I joined the forum. It seems like this forum has a lot of great people which is why I joined it. I'm based in Pennsylvania in the U.S.
Do you think Reef Freenzy is ok or should I mix it up even more?

tekkengal

Reaction score
No, not AS. I hope it's ok I joined the forum. It seems like this forum has a lot of great people which is why I joined it. I'm based in Pennsylvania in the U.S.
The more the merrier and welcome to the forum :)
@pHishman should have some good insights with regards to breeding clownfish, hopefully he can share some of his learnings with you? :)

Reaction score
Seeing that you are in US, i would go with mix of TDO http://apbreed.com/product_tdo_chroma_boost.php
And Fertility Frenzy http://www.larrysreefservices.com/lrs-fertility-frenzy.html
Thats all you need, you can put the TDO in a autofeeder, and feed the Frenzy when you are home

Last edited: