Ultimate trap for agressive fishes!!!

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Visser, 2 Oct 2012.

1. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Ever had an aquarium with fish & liverock and or corals in it and wanted to catch an agressive fish without removing every single rock, coral & decorations out of the tank before being able to net the little bastard...
    Well, if you have ever been one of those unfortunate people that had to do this, then i really feel sorry for you as that is one of the most daunting & nearly impossible tasks to achieve!!!
    It always seems like you are able to catch every single fish in the tank except the one you want!!!
    Well, ive had to do this only 3 times since i started this hobby, but it has been the task that i hated the most. The very first fish i had to catch was a yellow belly damsel (my very first fish i ever bought) & it has killed 3 of my beloved fish before i was able to catch him!!!
    I litteraly tried everything!!! From leaving the net in the tank to luring him out with a torch at night, nothing worked! I tried about 2 hours every day for 2 weeks before i accidentaly caught him in my net just before quitting for the day!
    The next 2 fish went a little easier, but not without a fight!!!

So.... I learned my lesson in which fish not to buy in order to prevent all the hassles!
    Untill suddenly, my extremely peaceful one year old bicolor dottyback started picking at all my other fish in my DT!!! (I know dottybacks can be agressive, but he has been very peaceful for 5 months in my refugium & therefore i added him to my new nano)

So, trying to prevent another long netting exersise, i set out to build the ultimate trap, & therefore came up with this little baby...

The mirror back fish trap:
    Ive had limited success with the mirror in the back of a bottle with a fishing line attached to pull the bottle out, but the problem was always that if i didnt catch him the first time, he would never go back in. So i had to make a trap somehow that wouldnt scare the fish off & would catch him first time!
    So here it is:
    [​IMG]

It simply works with a very thin fishing line that goes through a hole in the top of the trap & is attached to the inside of the trap door.

[​IMG]
    The hinge is made from 2 small holes drilled through the side of the box & into the door with needles glued in place.

[​IMG]

I glued a stopper at the doors closed position to prevent the door to overlap & give the fish a chance to escape.

[​IMG]
    A picture showing the position of the fishing line.
    The holes in the door is to relief the backpressure inside the box when the door is closed.

[​IMG]
    The entire box is made of plexiglass to help in not scaring the fish from going in.

[​IMG]
    The mirror glued in the back of the box, works like charm to any agressive fish as they are normally the curios ones...

[​IMG]
    The fishing line can also be used to pick the box up with the fish inside & the nice thing about the box is, you can move the fish to another tank without ever taking him out of the water & causing him more stress.

[​IMG]

The aftermath...
    I put the box in the tank against one side of the tank & opened the door with my feeding prongs...
    I stood back with the line in my hand & about 30seconds later, he was inside the box, i quickly pulled the line & whoala, i got the little guy without any injuries to myself or him, lol.
    I quickly moved him to my refugium.
    Left him there, the next day i made another test with my other fish & in a matter of 10 minutes, all my other fish inspected the inside of my trap!!

So, if anyone else has the same problem with a smallish fish, just drop me a mesage & your more than welcome to borrow the trap!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. roderigo

roderigo

Wow bud job well done

4. maj

maj

nice build,im sure you can make lotsa money if you start making and selling these traps

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. Visser

Visser Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks bud!

Lol, thanks, but i will need to make them a bit nicer if i want to sell them;)

Thanks carlos

7. Jayceew

Jayceew

Nice trap, will definitely also have to build one to catch my tomato clown. I've had the clown for quite some time, it has always hosted in my Bubble tip but started biting the anemone last week. It's basically impossible to catch this specific fish, I remember when moving tanks in the beginning of the year it was my 2nd most difficult fish to catch.

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

nice! Gotta build one for my trigger. Problem is putting the trap in the tank without him biting ME! Guess I'll need tongs big enough to lower the box!

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Have you tried catching him at night with a led torch, caught five cromis', one naso and a ornage striped cardinal using this method, usually ten minutes after lights out, if he doesn't hide in the rock work, shine light in his eyes and bring net from behind, they never see it coming.;)

10. marine101

marine101

That's great! Instead of the flap, I use the slider. Like in the aqua medic fish traps. Also, the mirror, is a good touch. Well done!

11. Mc

Mc

Nice job.:thumbup:
    I build something similar and finally managed to catch my hawkfish.

12. Visser

Im building a bigger one for a friend this weekend to catch his surgeon with, pity your so far away otherwise you could have borrowed it!!!

Lol, sounds like youve got a vicious little trigger in your tank, or should i say miniature great white...

13. Visser

Lol, hawkfishes can be a pain to catch... Its like they always know your next move:censored:
    Thanks mc

14. Visser

Thanks @Jayceew, wow, a clown biting its host... Thats a first!!!
    How big is the tomato clown?
    If its not too big, i can bring you mine tonight... (im close to your place this evening & ive got it with me...)

The box is 60x60x 100mm long inside...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Hahaha, he is starting to look like a great white with the scars from me and my GF flicking him with my fingers when he tries to take a chunk of flesh.... He has learned where the soft skin on my arms are already......

16. Visser

Thanks @marinw101, ive also tried the sliding door type, but i found the door to get stuck if not perfectly horizontal, & after the first attempt (the door got stuck) the fish never wanted to swim in there again...

17. Visser

Thanks @marine101, ive also tried the sliding door type, but i found the door to get stuck if not perfectly horizontal, & after the first attempt (the door got stuck) the fish never wanted to swim in there again...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. Jayceew

Jayceew

Hi, she's probably around 8cm, quite a big clown.

Thanks a lot for the offer, will definitely take you up. I'm a bit stuck at work this week, can I contact you next week somewhere? Would really appreciate it!

19. Jayceew

Jayceew

Oops, I just saw the dimensions for the trap now, I think it will be too small. She will fit inside but it's a tight fit so she will probably not go in deep enough to give me enough time to close the trap door.

Did you buy the perspex at Maizey's?

20. Rhyn

Rhyn

Am busy making a BIG one bud. Maizey sell perspex off cuts at R45 per kg so i have plenty now. I love the flap door idea think its a winner. Will let you know when its done. Hmm need a mirror:whistling:

21. Jayceew

Jayceew

When I have a chance I will buy a small piece of mirror at Builders for your trap. Thanks!

Recent Posts