Ultimate Reef TOTM - Snowsurfer

interesting.a tank that has SPS and no skimmer.need lots of maintanence to keep nutrient levels down in order for the SPS to thrive

I like this section of what he wrote:
And I quote:
"
I love the simplicity of my system, and also that it seems to be working great. When the tank was a few months old I was running with nitrates of around 25-30. This didn’t seem to have any obvious effects on my corals and the SPS was still colouring up well. Now though as the system has been maturing my nitrates have steadily dropped to now a reading of 0.02 on a salifert test kit. This is without help from any external equipment and only the occasional water change. The drop in nitrates did surprise me at first because as you will see further on, I am heavily stocked. It did even cause me to take water samples to my LFS to make sure my kit was not faulty!"

No skimmer - only 50kg's of live rock, and mud bed with macro algae....

No zeo being dosed....... no metal halides, only 8 x T5's..... 116 watt LESS lighting than what he had! WOW!

Also - his flow is NOT 100x his tank volume!

He only has a 3000 l/h sump return, and ONE Tunze 6060, and now 2 x 1000 l/h Hydor Koralia's!

AND 33 fish! WOW!

Exactly what caught my eye, amazing how simple is system is and no fancy additives, makes you think :p

Shows how good those mudbeds and algae scrubbers can be as natural filtration

wonder what his mud bed is made of...?

I think the idea is to try and duplicate the filtration power of a mangrove swamp.

SO you probably find the mud is from this type of areas

Yeah - mangrove RULES! BUT - I hear it is illegal in South Africa? In the US, everyone uses mangroves to export the nutrients (well - most tanks that I read of in any case)....

I have investigated using mangroves LONG LONG ago.... but was not able to source mangrove plants.

Yeah - mangrove RULES! BUT - I hear it is illegal in South Africa? In the US, everyone uses mangroves to export the nutrients (well - most tanks that I read of in any case)....

I have investigated using mangroves LONG LONG ago.... but was not able to source mangrove plants.

But the mangrove mud is not illegal

hmmmm did not know that...I'll check on price as I would like some in my refugium...

Well - IF you can achieve THOSE results with the miracle mud, then you don't need to buy/upgrade your skimmer.... Then the R700 becomes "less" expensive when compared to a new skimmer, hey?

Well - IF you can achieve THOSE results with the miracle mud, then you don't need to buy/upgrade your skimmer.... Then the R700 becomes "less" expensive when compared to a new skimmer, hey?

I don't think it's that easy, or loads would be doing it. You would probably need probably 20kg of the stuff.

wow...that's crazy...maybe if the makers lowered the price more uf us would try it...R4500 for 20kg's of mud is totally unaffordable for 99% of us. We could rather get a TS4 with that...

But it looks like he's only got about a 2cm layer of that mud in his sump.

Back
Top Bottom