ULNS and NSW combination

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by SchyffS, 19 Jul 2011.

1. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

I wanted to get more detail from reefers that run ULNS together with NSW water changes only.
    From reading through some members tank threads i realised that alot of them run ULNS together with NSW water changes, for eg, MUDSHARK (i may be wrong)
    I wanted to know if using NSW is best run with ULNS systems as adding NSW can increase water parameters such phosphate and nitrates. NSW with less efficient filtration systems should rather stay away from NSW water changes.
    What is the opinion of reefers currently maintaining their tanks with this method.

My logic is that a ULNS reef has virtually zero phosphates and nitrates, therefore by adding NSW it will not have any effect on the reef tank water parameters(dilution). Infact, my opinion is it will be good for the system as it will add deficient yet crucial chemicals etc.

Any thoughts....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I suppose its where you get the water from that counts. Guys that have bought water from public aquariums complain about high nitrates and phosphates while if you get it from the sea you have to go too places off the beaten track away from river mouths and pollution. The bonus to using NSW right away is the high amount of bacteria in the water which is beneficial to a ULNS system

4. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

O collect from Llandudno and nitrates are ALWAYS 0...

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I definitely think its where you collect nsw water. Where I collect in hermanus I can get rather clean water and the no3 are always O but sometimes the po4 readings are like 0.25 or less to 0. Do by adding those you can dilute the nutrients to a ulns. By doing nsw changes often enough you add essential elements. I hardly dose anything,99% of the time just a kh buffer and I've always managed to have stable parameters. Like ph,mg,ca and very low nutrients. But if you collect water with higher nutrients you'll add elements but won't be able to reduce nutrients. I've tested nsw many many times and I've found that the water I collect here has got all the elements reefers strife for.like the mg,ca etc are spot on what we want. So I think regular water changes add a lot to a setup.also depends on what type of corals and how many you have in ur setup. You also get bacteria,plantkton etc whic add as food to coral. Hope this makes sense. My opinion.

6. SchyffS

SchyffS Thread Starter Reef Aquarist

My point was to determine if using NSW water with high/low nutrient level that it would be diluted with the reef water and with the consequent ULNS filtration the remaing nutrients would be sorted out very quickly.
    So from the above member comments thus far, using NSW is actually a major benefit with a ULNS system.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2011
  7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I would say that i coulb be beneficial and I cant depending on the quality of water you get. I have collected water at a different spot in hermanus and I found that the po4/no3 were quite high. That was next to an abalone farm. So it will definitely play a major role as to where you collect. Ive tested the water a number of times at a few different spots untill I found a spot where the water showed a very/almost undetectable reading of nutrients and have managed to run a very very lown nutrient system. I dont know if Im answering your question. Maybe Im not fully understanding it:p

8. SchyffS

SchyffS Thread Starter Reef Aquarist

Charl, perhaps if you say what filter system u are using then it will help me to make a better conclusion.
    On the other hand if you have a ULNS and using NSW and your reef is thriving then it confirms to some measure that the NSW has no negative effects that is measurable.

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Im running normal filter floss, purigen,phosguard with a crap skimmer. Once in a while ill run some carbon but not often. I do two 20% water changes 2 times a week so it quite alot so maybe thats where Im able to keep my nutrients very low. To be honest Ive never found that its got a negative effect on my system. I just feel that with nsw you add alot of good bacteria that you dont get with asw. Sure you have some die off but its food for filter feeders etc. Im a strong believer in nsw.

Recent Posts