ULNS and Chaeto????

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by viper357, 17 Aug 2013.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi everyone

I was wondering, those of you that are running ULNS or aiming for very low nutrient systems, or even the guys with very low or undetectable Nitrates and Phosphates, are you using chaeto? If so, does it still grow rapidly in these systems? Or does Chaeto only grow in systems with high Nitrates and Phosphates?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Growth rate will depend on nutrients available. You'll notice as your nutrients decrease it will barely grow at all.

4. seank

seank

All my chaeto died off. On numerous occassions I added chaeto, and they all died off... Years ago mine grew so fast i had to remove on a weekly basis, but not anymore

5. Triven

Triven

Hi guys I know it of the topic but I am looking 4 some chaeto

6. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Thanks guys, any other comments? Is anybody actually running a ULNS with Chaeto?

7. Reefhead

Reefhead

I believe eventually you will get a equilibrium where by the amount of nutrients being produced and available will mean that X amount of chaeto will survive and control the nutients and the rest will die off.
    A ULNS is very possible with chaeto except you will need a large amount

8. Braco

Braco

At one stage my Cheato died off as well...of late now it's booming again and i havent changed anything..

9. Adee

Adee

All depends.... what measurement u using? what defines one's interpretation of ULNS?

I run 0.00ppm on both N04 and P04 and using Hanna checkers to accurately determine this. I had a 60cm cube plumbed in and literally had chaeto growing rampant. While still maintaining these levels. Then again I feed the tank heavily as well. Chaeto is the best phosphate eating remover u can ever hope to have in your system.

Most folks don't bother with chaeto where they are running zeovit type setups as the chaeto itself holds no added value in helping to eliminate phos, relying more on the ULNS filtration methods to maintain low params...in fact, chaeto can add to nutrient levels once it dies off, I do believe that as you nutrient limit, and "starve" corals in a ULNS set-up....you will undoubtedly also affect the same on the chaeto.

So IMO, no...not easily possible to run both in a true ULNS

10. 2balive

2balive

Mine stopped growing (but survived) after about two months into bio cubes.

Recent Posts