Types of Overflows, an Illustrated Guide

Trying to seal a leak with silicone will not work. Water will always find a way out. You will have to redo the join with PVC glue. I am assuming those are pvc fittings @UncleFausto?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for a revival here.
If I had to buy a tank that already has a skinny overflow, how would I go about changing it to something like a C2C if it can be done?

You would need to remove the skinny overflow, block up the holes in the bottom pane or back pane depending on where they are and then drill new holes at the top for the new overflow. I would just leave the skinny overflow.

best is to post a picture of the skinny overflow you do have.

Is the outlet hole at the bottom or side?
How wide is the overflow section at the moment?

You can maybe convert it to a coast to coast skinny overflow.

I'll post up soon, I was thinking if the overflow hole is on the side, it would then be easy to convert.
The reason for wanting to change, is I don't like the dirt that lies on top op the water.

There is also a TUNZE over flow, you can email me with info, cheers Anita

Neil, I got a combo of these two types.
Skinny coast to coast, and only at the top.

Note, tank is lying on the back pane in this pic. The double glass part on the left is the euro bracing.
And I have two outlets. Only one shown.See the T-piece behind the glass. On the top, I placed an endcap with airvalve. That creates an external Durso.

I know this is a very old post but I am looking at doin something simular. Did u have the 2 outlets at the same height? as it appears to not have alot of room in the overflow chamber to get 2 different heights. Also, was it noisy due to no 90 degree elbow facing down into the water? Did you use a ball valve to controll the height of the water above the bulkhead?

There was 2 holes in the back of the tank when I got it. Without overflow box. The overflow box fit over the two holes. Water height defined by the glass and not the holes. Holes where at the same height. But do not need to be, depending on depth of the overflow box. Actually would be better with one lower and on that line a ball valve to control the flow and noise. Yes it did produce noise. But not within the overflow box itself, the water did not fall far enough to create a noise. Noise came from the water running in the pipes down to the sump. And where that pipes had elbows. I used 45 degree bends rather than 90 degree to help in preventing water splashing hard into a 90 degree bend.

There was 2 holes in the back of the tank when I got it. Without overflow box. The overflow box fit over the two holes. Water height defined by the glass and not the holes. Holes where at the same height. But do not need to be, depending on depth of the overflow box. Actually would be better with one lower and on that line a ball valve to control the flow and noise. Yes it did produce noise. But not within the overflow box itself, the water did not fall far enough to create a noise. Noise came from the water running in the pipes down to the sump. And where that pipes had elbows. I used 45 degree bends rather than 90 degree to help in preventing water splashing hard into a 90 degree bend.

(Water height defined by the glass and not the holes) I meant the water level within the overflow box. thanks will keep this in mind

Let's not forget this interesting one........
Anyone ever DIYed one of these?
ZeroEdge-Aquariums2.jpg

that would be a nightmare to keep clean. Not only do you have to clean the main tank glass, but its outside, and the outer shallow tank as well.

And snails will be everywhere. Imagine a snail sitting on the outside, disturbing the water flow, creating a nice sounding waterfall with water cascading over his shell making nice splashing noises. Plus water can splatter 1 and a half times further than they fall.

Looks cool for a expo demo. But that is about it.

Three types of overflow from Tunze imo the 1076/2 is the best ever takes 50% from top and 50% from bottom so more detritus can be removed. Once installed it is impervious to power failures and other hassles and will outlast the life of the tank.

1074_2.jpg

1076_2.jpg

1077.000.jpg

I love my Durso (hope i spelt it right)

no noise , no overflowing mistakes haha and no mess :)

hi members

any advice on what can I do to reduce water noise in my plumbing, running down from tank to sump.
(that water guggling sound running down the plumbing)

i have a overflow box as in pic. normal PVC plumbing at the back of tank connected directly from overflow hole into my sump.

I've seen some members plumbing that has like PVC valve to control pressure. would this valve work with noise reduction or what else can I do?

Attachments

• 9114c92a5ae97b0c.jpg
    9114c92a5ae97b0c.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 103
hi members

any advice on what can I do to reduce water noise in my plumbing, running down from tank to sump.
(that water guggling sound running down the plumbing)

i have a overflow box as in pic. normal PVC plumbing at the back of tank connected directly from overflow hole into my sump.

I've seen some members plumbing that has like PVC valve to control pressure. would this valve work with noise reduction or what else can I do?
Post a pic of the plumbing behind the tank, will make it easier for someone to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom