Two skimmers or one?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by JAJA, 10 Jan 2013.

1. JAJA

JAJA

Up to now my planning for my new build (+/-3000) has been based on using two RO XP5000INT skimmers in a single sump. The logic being that if one breaks down I have the other as a back-up rather than have a single larger skimmer fail leaving me with no skimmer until this is fixed.

I've now been informed that two skimmers in one sump will not work properly and it would be better to use one XP8000INT.

Anyone have experience with this and able to guide me further before i commit either way?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I can't see why it wouldn't work on the proviso that they each get their fair share of dirty water. If you place them in series, so to speak, the second one would produce much less foam and would be less efficient.

You might have to fiddle with the levels of your skimmers every time you switch between one and two skimmers. Unless you run parallel sumps.

4. Fanlie

Fanlie

ATI PowerCone 250 I-Series and dont worry over skimmer fail. get purigen

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Yeah I do, one external and one internal. Internal one is smaller and is located close to were the effluent of my main skimmer comes out along with return water from DT, they always pull tons of gunk. Just watch for over skimming, you could strip nutrients.

8. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

No problem with using two

I recall Surgeon use to run one wet and one dry, cant really comment if it improved anything but he did have a stunner tank.

Sure you cant overskim

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

only issue would be that one skimmer normally skim more than the other one. Getting in more dirty water than the other.

10. Dillan

Dillan

I have a 2 sump system one skimmer in each and this weekend I will connect my 3rd skimmer an external one, rather safe than sorry. While I was away something jammed my impeller on the one skimmer, second one took over and I had no issues (just a very dirty second skimmer cup).

The same for returns I have 2 return pumps per tank same logic one fails your system does not crash. My only issue is if the power goes off my inverter only runs one pump per system but the possibility of the pump failing then is negligible (touch wood).

My system is 2000lts and skimmer one is rated for 1200 second for 2500 third for 3000 it does not worry me that one may work harder than the other as long as I have back up….

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i am going with 2 skimmers, one int and one ext, for the reasons same as you, but shouldnt be an issue as i have them on a delay timer to start up again after power-outage.

the internal SRO range like you are getting each come with there own pumps for supply, dont share a pump, wasting your money on running under performing skimmers. why are they sharing a feed pump?

12. Duimpies

Duimpies

wouldnt it work if you split the flow running into the sump chamber , and then have a skimmer on eather side of the split, hence each skimmer is getting the equal amount of the water from the tank .

Just an idea

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

The reality is water won't flow 50/50, so the skimmers will fluctuate in performance
    But internal skimmers have there own feed pumps so shouldn't be an issue

14. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I have started running a aquamedic sl alongside my ati powercone200i and the ati outperforms like a beast but i still feel better with 2 skimmers

15. JAJA

JAJA Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback which generally supports my logic. I'll play around with settings once they are running but needed to be sure I was going in the right direction.

I have two sumps so could also place one in each if the two in one sump does not work properly.

Recent Posts