Two return pumps

Reaction score
i've got 2XOR 3000's i want to use as return pumps for my 900l system.

I'm planning on connecting both the pumps so that they enter the display tank together.i would like to know if it's better joining them
  • with a t-piece at the bottom(sump level) - (wont the pumps compete to much because the flow is to strong) or
  • letting both pumps force the water to the top and then connecting them to flow directly into the tank
thanks

I would say one pump will be suffiecient on that tank Andreas. Use 2 if you there is going to be lots of bends and elbows (Head loss).But dont join them,you might be putting too much strain on the pumps.

I am planning to also have 2 return pumps.. I have not given it any thought yet as to how I was going to connect them, but now that this thread is here we can discuss it.

I was thinking of just running them independantly or each other, ie not join them at sump level..

Mek.. what do you mean if you don't join them there will be too much strain? don't understand.

Mek.. what do you mean if you don't join them there will be too much strain? don't understand.
Hey Muz,I think you read it wrong.Check again
"But dont join them,you might be putting too much strain on the pumps."
Get what i mean?That is,dont link the 2 pumps together via a T piece :)

Any bends/joins/reducers/spraybars/etc will cause more backpressure and reduce flow and strain the pumps more.

True..

I'm sure you must mean OR3500's anyway... They should be fine. I had 1 on my 200L tank and with a T, a tap and 2 90's it was still good enough.

T pieces are honestly the worst invention ever... If you have the water "hit" the T in the middle it robs a helluva lot of flow. If you let the water go straight through with some if it going to the side hardly anything will go to the side.

Bud i used 2 or3500 on seperate returns and it was noisy. One turned out to be enough the other i put on closed loop and never looked back

Personally i think you will be defeating the object of using 2 pumps if you connect to the same return. What size holes are in your overflow?

Back
Top Bottom