Two Oceans Aquarium Water

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by NitroNarcer, 10 Jun 2013.

1. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer

Hi All

As most of you know it is quite expensive and a mission to make your own saltwater. I collect water from the Two Oceans aquarium and just wanted to find out if it is necessary to cycle that water?

From my understanding is that it comes from the aquariums main tanks and should contain lots of nutrients and bacteria.

Can you set up a tank and add fish a day later using there water? If you say no can you please advise why?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bendor

Bendor

Cycling your tank implies a usually slow process where you provide an ammonia source that allows a bacterial colony to grow and utilise this source into nitrites. A second bacterial colony is then allowed to grow that utilise nitrites and produce nitrates. These two colonies will live on the surface (and in the water) but mainly on the surface of your rocks, substrate and filter media. Your tank has cycled when these bacterial colonies are large enough to utilise the ammonia and subsequent nitrite fast and efficiently enough to not register either on test kits (only nitrates still).

When cycling the tank you actually mature the rocks, substrate and filter media. Cycled water on it's own won't do the trick.

There are lots of in depth threads on MASA about cycling your tank. Have a look and good luck.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2013
  4. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Let's ignore all other contaminants, water here is about 15 degs, you going to heat it up by 10degs c, organisms will die off which means a cycle. So not a good idea one day later. For a water change no probs but 100% I would not recommend.

5. casperman

casperman

Hi.

I can only speak for myself , but I would not use water from another aquarium .

One does not know what is in the water .

The marine hobby is expensive, but one should not skip on water quality .

6. NADEEM

NADEEM

I agree with this, it really is worth it to mix your water with a good quality salt

7. S2

S2

I found when I used two oceans water was that I had to add a lot of buffers to up my parameters and the salanity varies, mixing my own saltwater had constant salanity and used much less additives to the water

8. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer Thread Starter

Thank you for your insight Bendor. The reason I asked is that I filled up my tank with saltwater from the aquarium and a day later I added a blue devil damsel. I do understand the fish is of the tougher type but still doing well, feeding and is all over the place. I have no rock in at the moment nor sand. Will be adding soon though.

Fair enough I understand that alot better. I think I will toy with the concept a bit and test the water as it goes through the heating stage and see how much the parameters would change during this cycle. It would be interesting to see.

9. NitroNarcer

I agree and mixing your own saltwater will be much better but for people who dont have the time or the money to mix on water. The aquariums water is the only option. I will actually test the water at the aquarium the next time I got to see what the parameters are.

10. Bendor

Bendor

Your fish will be fine for the first few days until it drives up the ammonia due to waste and feeding. Then when you add rock and substrate the tank will cycle again with high ammonia and nitrites which will cause a lot of stress on your fish and may even kill it. You will essentially be cycling with a fish as your ammonia source which could be avoided because live rock will have it's own die off and as for base rock you can just add a bit of fish food to start it off.

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

There is nothing wrong with the two oceans water. Lots of people use it and have experienced no problems with it.

12. NitroNarcer

Im gonna test the water daily to see what is happening. The liverock I got was in a tank with white spot. So i decided to cure the rock with hypo salinity and about 28c so the rock its self is cured. I will watch the parameters and see how things go. If things get too hard then I will take the fish out of the tank.

Is it ok to even use the aquarium water in water changes?

13. NitroNarcer

Thats what I wanted to know because I plan on using it.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As far as I know thw water comes from their inlet pipe, not out of their display.

Anyway, their fish have constant supervision and they have proper hospital facilities. Their display tanks is in a better condition health-wise than a lot of members own systems.

Problem is that you cannot store the water.

15. Bendor

Bendor

If you are adding fully cured rock directly from the curing bucket/tank to your display tank you shouldn't have a cycle. Just keep up with water changes needed for the damsel as needed according to your test kits until the rock is fully cured. Should all be fine.

16. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Before starting to mix my own water I used 2 oceans water.
    I never had any issues, I even stored the water for a couple of weeks in a cool place!

The only reason for not getting water from them anymore was that I got to lazy to drive and collect :p

17. Fred d

Fred d

My bud @Snoek just started up his tank now on cured liverock and cured mixed ro and salt water he aqualired from a reputable LFS AND even with this he still had some dieoff and a small ammonia spike ...

Maybe @deadmeat2016 can give us a better insight into aquarium water ...

Personally I have not had any hassles with the water .

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hey guys,

Sorry just tuned to this thread, I can confirm that the TOA(two oceans aquarium) is clean.

I will try and find the pics or post them after sat if I take some more, the water isnt just sucked out from the sea and used. We have a bank of I think 16 giant sand filters, the same used on giant swimming pools, to filter and clean the water which is also checked for nitrate, ammonia and oils on a daily basis.

On our exhibits (most of them, even the tropicals) we have a constant overflow going on so the cleaned seawater is slowly added to the exhibits with the overflowing water being discarded back to the sea. This is going on 24/7 so you can be assured the water is not 'dirty' as the amount of algae scraping we do each week is so minimal in the exhibits. A good example is our Knysna seahorse tank which is very difficult to clean because of the delicate horses, but they have the constant overflow and a chiller to keep them alive, the algae is scraped from the front and back every week but you really have to look hard to find any algae.

So when considering the TOA water, the water is constantly being processed and filtered 24/7, sent through the aquarium to all the exhibits and quarantine, with some of the water routed to tropical where it is heated first, otherwise straight into the local livestock exhibits as the water temp is almost identical as it is extracted from the sea.

For R250(I think) a year, just think of how much you will save on RO, salt etc.
    Just bear in mind that its advisable to phone before collecting incase of any nutrient spikes, the staff will let you know and also the salinity is the same as the sea, 1.025 ish.

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

my only concern with the two oceans water is the phosphate level which was too high for my personal choice. It was 0.36 the last time I tested

20. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Oh dear, I havn't tested the water myself so can't comment, will enquire on saturday as there are so many questions on the quality of the water. Thanks mandarinman :thumbup:

21. Snoek

Snoek

Bud I started my tank 2 weeks ago. I bought cured LR and used water out of Perky Pets coral tank and as @Fred d said I did have an Ammonia spike. My LR even came out the same tank as the water so all I can say is be prepared to use loads of additives (special blend and stability) to start your tank. Once you factor the cost of these product it will bring you back to the one point you raised namely the cost side. Take your time and it will cost you much less. PS I would think about getting that fish out your tank before you add the LR. Once the LR is in the Damsel is there till it dies and they are not the most peaceful fish.......

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts