Twistii Wrasse good?

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
Hey guys, I saw one of these little guys at the LFS today and I'm keen on putting one in my 3 foot tank, what are your guys thoughts? They seem to mind their own business from what I have seen

Antwi_u0.jpg

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
Reason I'm asking is because I'm battling to find some decent information on the net, the info I'm looking for is:

What they eat?
Are they aggressive toward other tank mates?
Are they difficult to keep?
:)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi LowFlyer - personally (and this is me) I am against putting any wrasse in my tank.
I believe that people have reasonably good experience with 6-line wrasses. I personally do not know this wrasse.
BUT - seeing that we love keeping starfish, snails and hermit crabs - I stay far away from any wrasses. I have a very bad experience with a queen coris wrasse. This fish killed off ANY/ALL hermit crabs, snails and starfish that I had in my tank.

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
Ok thanks jacques, do all wrasse kill hermits or does it depend on certain peoples different experiences?

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
Some pointers I can give u.
U will need about 250 to 300L tank to keep this guy happy in the long run.
They will pick on some inverts like clams ,crustaceans and fanworms.
They also require a very fine substate to burrow and sleep in ,they wont do well with a crushed coral or similar substrate .
As for feeding they like meaty foods .(Frozen krill etc.)
Water conditions should be kept close as possible to guidelines.
Good luck deciding ;)

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
Shot Puppy, the one i saw at the lfs was quite small, do you think it will bother my cleaner shrimp which is bigger than it at the moment?

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
Yes they do pick on shrimps, don't let size fool u.
Rather look at getting a reef safe wrasse if it's a wrasse u want.
The leopard wrasse for 1 would make a much better tank mate.
Others like fairy,flasher,exquisite and radiant wrasses are also reef safe.
Just remember they do like swimming space.

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
Ok cool, thanks man, didn't know the twistii wasn't reef safe. Flip, i like that little guy, anyway, i'll check out some of the reef safe options. Shot man

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
Hey guys, in the very same tank at the LFS i did find a reef safe little guy, and here he is, an Radiant Wrasse or Iridis Wrasse, cool hey

DSC01480.jpg

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
He seems cool, well actually he's in hiding right now, I made a sand pile for him and he inspected it a bit and burrowed straight in. Now, I don't know if he's gonna take straight to the fish food I feed at the moment, so do you think if I can get some really small shrimp at the beach that he would appreciate them and eat them? Will his predatory nature come out to rip the small live shrimp to shreds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
I'm so glad to see that so many okes are fond of this guy, makes me happy that I chose him, just one question, I'm not worried at all, just want to know how long these guys can hide away for. He's hiding in my heep of substrate right now, just wanna know the limits

Mek - sorry to hear of your loss mek

Lowflyer

Clownfish
Reaction score
Thanks Warr, i really like it, it's cool to look at, especially while it's in the sand:lol: