Twin arc metal halides

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Tony, 30 Aug 2009.

1. Tony

Tony

I got this off Advance Aquarist. What do you guys think of this technology

Twin Arc Metal Halide Lamps from Advanced Lighting Solutions

The Twin Arc metal halide lamp is one of those game-changing products that no one could have seen coming. The Twin Arc bulbs are a standard metal halide bulb which contains two separate inner envelopes. When the Twin Arc bulb is fired, a component within the bulb remembers which envelope was last fired and it directs the current towards the other envelope. The bulb fires the inner envelopes in alternation and in it's most basic application the Twin Arc uses two envelopes of a single color either in 10K, 14K or 20K. In it's most exciting form, the Twin Arc comes with in a dual colored bulb with one envelope pushing 10K colored lighting and the other envelope pushing 20K colored lighting. So each time the dual colored Twin Arc is fired it alternates between pushing "full spectrum" 10K colroed light which is most conducive for growth and 20K colored light which is most conducive to showing off and encouraging coral colors.
    [​IMG]
    Coral farmers have long tossed around the idea of growing corals under full spectrum light and then coloring them up under bluer light for producing more colorful and desirable corals. The concept of growing corals under lights of multiple colors is not a new one, reefers have been using separate lamps of different colors as long as they've been available. Now the multi colored approach togrowing corals is easier than ever; if an aquarist is using a dual colored Twin Arc bulb they can easily switch between the best of both worlds using a simple timer to turn the lights on and off twice a day. We'll have to see how these bulbs hold up in real world applications but we'll be happy even if we just get a single colored Twin Arc lamp which lasts twice as long.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

4. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

5. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

I suppose it will be like any new technology, expensive at first and then it will cheapen down

6. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

I went to marine depot.com in the US and they are $99 for a 250 W SE bulb with a 10000K and 20000K combination. Reefbrite bulbs. With shipping and all you're probably looking at R1000-00 per bulb which is about the same as a Reeftek

7. lIghty

lIghty

Thanks Tony,

but 1 question comes to mind.....Why run this bulb apposed to 2 sepperate bulbs? I one "envelope" fails, you gotta throw the other away......

Another thing, if its a 250w bulb, then each envelope will only be 125w?

8. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

They probably are 125 W each and you would probably lose both bulbs if the one fails. Good point there

9. martinhal

martinhal

Thanks for that Tony. Growth and color in one bulb. Good timing for me as I just replaced my bulbs , when they go I will give it a try.

10. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Hopefully we will know more about them but Advanced Aquarist seems to rate them

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

sounds good in theory. in my case i'd want both envelopes to be on, to get the colour mix, thats the point. whats it talking about with switching them on and off? that would be a pain in the ass
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

I think they do come one at once. The bulbs "remembers" which side it fired from when igniting

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Interesting idea, thanks for sharing Tony.

What I also found interesting was the info on Plasma Arc lighting and the Vortech MP-10

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Tony so this means that the bulb should last longer than the single bulb ones...maybe even twice as long...

15. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Riyad, that's what they're hoping for but the technology is still new and there is no track record.

16. Andreas

Andreas

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Tony.

I like this idea as 250W MH with their reflectors take up quite some space so this could definately be the answer if space is an issue

17. Boendoe

Boendoe

Cool concept, would defanatlly give you best of both worlds

Recent Posts