Urgent help needed Tuxedo Urchin

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by JackSplat, 23 May 2014.

1. JackSplat

JackSplat

Hi guys/gals

I bought a Tuxedo Urchin yesterday. I acclimatised it over a period of 3 hours, first floated it for about half an hour then dripped. After I put it in the tank it went on its business and seemed fine.

This morning I found it lying on its back though. All the spines still attached but it looked motionless. Picked it up and put it on a rock. The bottom spines are moving a bit but not much. I guess it got a bit of a shock going into the new tank.

My tank parameters are very good, checked them all last night.

Salinity: 1.025
    Temp: 24.5
    PH 8.2
    Alk 9.4
    Cal:450
    Mag: 1350
    Phosphate: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Ammonia: 0

Can I do anything to improve its chances or do I just hope for the best?

Thanks!

Last edited: 23 May 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

Shame man hope he pulls through. I bought a Red Tuxedo 3 weeks ago and dripped it for 1h30min and placed him on a rock and off he went. He is eating well and doing very well. Keep us posted and really hope someone could give more advice and help.

4. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Echinoderms, like urchins have hydrostatic circulatory systems. Sometimes air can invariably enter the system and slowly kill the urchin as it gets trapped in the smallest spaces which then leads to tissue necrosis. I always try avoid picking them up into the air when transferring them. This applies to star fish as well.

6. JackSplat

JackSplat Thread Starter

Thank you Carlos, that might be it. I exposed it to air when I transfered it into the tank. Ok, at least I know for next time. Pity, it was a very nice one and they are so difficult to find..

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes, purchases are always an excitement. Acclumation is not always a set time. Acclimate new inhabitants, is to acclimate the new inhabatents into its new new environment from its old environment. Simply dripping a new inhabitant for an hour or two is not necessarily the insurance that the acclumation is going to be successful, or determine that the new inhabitant was properly handeled from capture.

It is always important when handeling all new purchases to measure the salinity and pH of the water the species is in. Then acclimate accordingly to the water parameters the species is going to be acclimated to.

May bet is that 99% don't bother to measure the salinity or pH or Alk there new purchase is coming from. IMO most of the issues around deaths of new acquisitions revolve around the simple belief that time is the answer to acclumation. ....

Last edited: 23 May 2014
  8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Agreed on the Ph, Alk and if I may add Salinity. Friend of mine witnessed a shop whose tanks had a pH of less than 7, yes you read that right less than 6..... And yes, you can keep fish at such a low pH, not advised, but you can....... Anyway, can imagine quite a stressful transition.

Last edited: 24 May 2014
Recent Posts