Turf Algae Filter

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Neil H, 13 Aug 2008.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Yep that post is a bloody awful attempt at advertising, the links have been removed, there are large gaps in the methodology of this system, be warned, serious research is needed with this system.

4. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Wee-Man, IYO, is there ANY merit in further research into this system as an additional filtration system?? Not as a replacement to any of the traditional filters we use but in addition?

5. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

That thing is a piece of shit, i got one with one of the tanks i got and it does not work, no difference at all.

6. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Using algae as a filter can work, one of the disadvantages that has been observed is the build up of yellowing compounds in the water, there is a special name for the compounds but I cannot think of it now. Carbon can remove it. Searches on the Adey system will give more info. I think it can be utilised in systems with heavy feeding as a substrate to produce live foods for creatures like seahorses and Banggais but more supplementary than as a replacement for other filtration methods such as DSBs and algal filters such as Chaetomorpha.

7. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

These filters are more for big open systems like uSHaka. Big aquariums run them in dams with sunlight...

Sum tip bucket methods have been used before, but like Steve points out it is a big down with the yellowing of water...

Also they are allot of work...The alage has to be trimmed all the time. I'd rather just flush the run off from my skimmer...

That said, I do grow a patch of algae next to my over-flow on a old piece of under gravel filter from my FW days... But that is more for my pigmy angels and food production than nutrient removal... I scrape off the algae once every week or so.

Recent Posts