Turbo trouble...

Reaction score
Hi all, some advice please. I am having a lot of problems introducing Turbo's to my system. I drip and temperature acclimatise them before introducing them to my tank but find that they close up (not completely) and do not move after I have dropped them in. Some attach (pretty half heartedly though) to either the LR or the glass but that is it. They then die. I have tried feeding them with norrie and there is also plenty of algae on the back glass. I do have other snails in my tank that I have collected and they are fine. What am I doing wrong?

Morning Kevin, I am hazarding a guess here but I know they need quite a long time to acclimatize (several hours)

Hi Kanga,
Could be the problem then. I drip them over about one hour only, same as I have done for other molluscs that I have introduced into my system.
Cheers

mmmmmmmmm.... odd... i just take them and throw them into the tank... no dripping nothing... sometimes the snails are so starved in the shops that they are past any point of redemtion....

Yeah when the fall over most species cant right themselves again i.e. the end.

Henk you might have been lucky but you should really drip them they are really sensitive to salinity.

ooooh i know... fish i drip... but its just snails....

no no no:nono:

its marine life and as such should be treated with as much care and understanding as possible, or killkanga

Kevin I also drip for only abut an hour. I take mine out the bag and place them in a container with their water, I make sure that they are then all upright as lying on their sides will kill them. Then with one in each hand I hold them on the glass until they have attached before I go onto the next.

I would suggest you measure ph and salinity in the bag and then drip them till the ph and salinity in the bag is equal to your tank. Only then put them in your tank. I've also had them dying on me, till I started dripping them like this.

Have you ever used copper based medication in your tank? Are these snails all from the same LFS? If so, try another shop. An hour is enough to drip, unless there is a major dif in salinity and ph.

I would suggest you measure ph and salinity in the bag and then drip them till the ph and salinity in the bag is equal to your tank. Only then put them in your tank. I've also had them dying on me, till I started dripping them like this.

Nice idea :thumbup:

I have never had luck with Turbo snails, they always seem to die. To this day I still do not have a single turbo snail in my tank.

All inverts are very susceptible to toxic shock, as above, drip feed for as long as you can but a minimum of 5-6 hours (same with shrimps etc) one of the main reasons the turbos fall over a lot, and i think many a reefer has seen that, is most likely down to the fact that they were introduced to quickly and they are a very sick little snail and most unlikely to survive long term.
As above - they cost money, if you want to chuck it away, please pm i will send details of my account, it may just save a snails life:whistling:

Thanks all. Some responses:
1) Never used copper in my system NicoH
2) I would have thought that dripping them for an hour - I essentially end up with one third their original water and two thirds from my system - would have sorted out any pH and/salinity issues. They were bought at a reputable LFS and I would be surprised if their water was way out of spec. I will check though.
3) Also bought a small clam at the same time, put him (her?) through the same process and he has settled in very well.

So any suggestions of alternatives if introducing turbos is so problematic?

i got a turbo last week - LFS has trouble getting him unstuck from the rock. at home, i places the bag in my tank and after 15 minutes started pouring a quarter cup of tank water into the bag every 5 minutes -when it came to the third pour in, the turbo had enough of the bag and happily came out himself -

i think that if they are firmly attached as thalion said then that is a good sigh

Back
Top Bottom