Turbo Snails

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by cknipe, 27 Jan 2014.

1. cknipe

cknipe

Hi All,

Excuse the, possibly, stupid question - but is there a trick to keeping Turbo snails?

Currently, my tank is progressing rather well, and my CUC consists of 14 Hermits (10 larger ones, and 4 smaller ones - all happy), 4 Fighting Conch Snails, and originally, 15 Turbo snails.

All the Turbo snails are alive and well - they move about, I see them, they clean, they go about their routines rather nicely. What seems to happen is that either the snails "go to sleep" or they for some strange reason die off. As soon as a Turbo goes into lurking mode, my hermits and conch snails are on it, and within a matter of 30 minutes, all that is left is a empty shell.

Originally, I baught 5 Turbos (when I didn't even have hermits), and my Conch snails had a fantastic supper as soon as the Turbo's hit the water. I thought then, perhaps the snails wasn't what I was told they where... It happens, LFS and other people can misidentify them. I then baught 10 additional last week... At least this time, the snails hit the bottom of the tank and are enjoying themselves for a while.

From the last 10 I baught, I think I have 3 or 4 of them left. They are big (bigger than the hermits, bigger than the conch snails), but yes. One by one, they are being eaten.

If Turbo's isn't going to work - what other CUC can I look at? My main reasoning for Turbos is that I want something to assist in cleaning hair algae (not that I have massive, a problem with it) and also to assist in cleaning areas such as the inside glass of the tank....

Many thanks as always!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Oh - and yes, there are plenty to eat for the CUC in the tank. They do eat the algae in the tank, it's just that when they see a Turbo not moving, they go for it, and forget that there's other things to eat too

4. tyronvs

tyronvs

tagging. i have the same problem

5. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Just a FYI - but I think my nitrate levels are still too high for the Turbos. They thus effectively die due to the Nitrates, and then get eaten or cleaned up.
    @tyronvs - what's the nitrates like in your water?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Parraman

Parraman

Are you sure its a fighting conch? Post a pic of the fighting conch.

7. tyronvs

tyronvs

20ppm -50ppm

8. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Ya. See that is what gets me. According to Saltwater Aquarium Snails for Marine Aquariums: Turbo Snail the Turbo Snail is sensitive to high Nitrite levels. Now my Nitrite sits at about 10ppm.

Just how much Nitrite is too much... I have no idea. But the high nitrites could explain both your as well as my deaths IMHO. In my tank with 10ppm, a Shrimp doesn't even survive 12 hours currently.

9. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

I get where you going with this. I know you get carnivorious snails looking very similar to the Fighting Conch (hence, possible misidentification by the LFS and myself).

This is the best pic I have with me now (on my cell). I will have to take a better pic tonight when I'm at home, as what you need to see to make the identification (I think), you can't see on this picture...

2013-12-12 14.04.45.jpg

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Yo Chris it's a narcissus snail it chows detritus but if something has dies it will eat that too... IMO good to have in the tank...:thumbup:

11. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Yeah, which is what is happening. I think the Turbo's already dead by the time the other snails get to it, and the hermits also joins in the party (this is all natural IMHO and normal). I do agree, it's great that they clean the tank like that. Even with all the snail deaths, my Amonia is at 0... So they clean up nice and fast too

But that then still doesn't solve the issue as to WHY the Turbo's are dying. Just found this interesting though, and never realised this. I always thought Ca and Mg was mainly aimed at Corals only...

So my Ca and Mg levels aren't right (that much I know). Frankly, my Mg is very high (1520ppm), and my Ca is borderline high (450ppm although I suspect my test kit is fauly).

I wonder... I've been holding off on the WC due to the cycle (no amonia, still have Nitrites (0.5ppm) and Nitrates (10ppm)) not being completed yet, but I wonder whether a nice big WC (25% or 30%) isn't perhaps being called for here to see about getting some of the Mg out of the water. Short of the Mg (which I didn't realise could be a issue), there really isn't anything massively bad per say, in my water - the parameters are stable as well.

Think first port of call will be to remove all the empty shells (I keep them for my Hermits) and then see whether there are any new deaths or not. Then I definately need to tackle my issues with my KH, Mg, and Ca which isn't where it should be.

12. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Nassarius. Narcissus is a daffodil. :whistling:

13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

LOL my bad thought I had the right one same family though..

14. Mouse

Mouse

Turbo's do not eat hair algae, believe me, I know....and I have loads of them because they keep breeding and I am still stuck with algae....

15. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

They eat it when it's short, just not when it's long. If you brush off the bulk of it they get the rest.

16. Christo

Christo

@cknipe and @tyronvs

Yip!!! have the same problem here to. Only thing is my NO3 is 0ppm
    Had 11 Turbo snails and are left with only 4. Everything else seems
    happy and Normal. Only the Turbos are falling away!

17. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

They eat it when it's short... Seen them in my tank, many times (when they're alive that is), munching away...

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one suffering this (so it's more than likely not something that 'we' are doing wrong). Just really wish we could all get to the bottom of this, because I'm pretty much grabing at straws.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2014
  18. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Just FYI...

1st Pic - A better sample of the "Fighting Conch," which as previously mentioned I believe to be misidentified and actually is a Nassarius.

2nd Pic - So I've lost 4 of my ten Turbos thus far (had them for 4 days now). This is basically what happens. The snails just lay there semi closed, and never opens up. Eventually the Hermits and other snails just start eating it untill the empty shell (and "door") remains. When you bother them with a net, or take them out of the water, they do move - so they are alive!

3rd Pic - One surviving Turbo on my rock with with a small patch of Hair Algae ;) Granted, he's been there for two days now, so hopefully it's still alive and not dead too!

2014-01-27 17.19.16.jpg

2014-01-27 17.19.33.jpg

2014-01-27 17.19.52.jpg

Last edited: 27 Jan 2014
  19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

20. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Also how long do you acclimatize them, they are very sensitive to pH and salinity swings?

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

where did you buy these turbo snails?

[​IMG]

Or are they locally collected? And if local, where did you get them?

Recent Posts