Tunze Nanostream - Could it be SHOCKING my fish??

Matt

Wrasse
Joined
5 Jan 2008
Posts
1,976
Reaction score
41
Location
JHB
Put my hand in the water today and I felt a tiny shock on my index finger (has a little cut on it), unplugged my tunze nanostream, put finger back in and that electric pulse is gone.

Whatever it is, its coming from the tunze. Would this be affecting my livestock? Quite concerned because my one fish fell ill about 4 days ago :(

Please advise!

Thanks
Matt
 

Mike

Retired Moderator
Joined
12 May 2007
Posts
7,859
Reaction score
31
Location
the Motherland
Very unlikely, you only got a shock because you are earthed, look up "earth free equipotential bonding systems" it will explain much better than i could, why you wont get electric shocks if you are not earthed, but basically you standing on the ground completes a circuit, the fish cannot do that, so won't get whacked.
 

Matt

Wrasse
Joined
5 Jan 2008
Posts
1,976
Reaction score
41
Location
JHB
Thanks for that wee-man! So it's safe to run this unit? (i.e all of these tunze units will give off an electric shock?) I shouldn't try replace it?
 

Mike

Retired Moderator
Joined
12 May 2007
Posts
7,859
Reaction score
31
Location
the Motherland
Thanks for that wee-man! So it's safe to run this unit? (i.e all of these tunze units will give off an electric shock?) I shouldn't try replace it?
No, sorry i should have said, the unit is faulty, there is an earth leakage somewhere, you will need to get it sorted, take it back to the shop
 

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Joined
6 May 2007
Posts
2,828
Reaction score
19
Location
Germiston
Wee-Man means to say it's safe for your fish, but not safe for you :whistling:
 

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Joined
28 Dec 2007
Posts
12,781
Reaction score
31
Location
JHB
Thanks for that wee-man! So it's safe to run this unit? (i.e all of these tunze units will give off an electric shock?) I shouldn't try replace it?
If you wire up a earth cable and it trips your earth leakage, then get rid of the unit, if not then I wouldn't worry.

Done this to loads of the 2-pin connector equipment.
 

dendrosa

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2007
Posts
298
Reaction score
3
Location
Somerset west CT
War7207, how would you wire earth cable? From the earth terminal on a three prong plug to a stainless steel rod suspended in the tank?
 

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Joined
28 Dec 2007
Posts
12,781
Reaction score
31
Location
JHB
War7207, how would you wire earth cable? From the earth terminal on a three prong plug to a stainless steel rod suspended in the tank?
No, you need to earth the pump/powerhead. needs to connect to actual motor's steel body
 

Mike

Retired Moderator
Joined
12 May 2007
Posts
7,859
Reaction score
31
Location
the Motherland
I think it would be much safer to remove the unit, take it back to the shop and explain the problem, if it is still within warrantee it will be replaced
 

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Joined
28 Dec 2007
Posts
12,781
Reaction score
31
Location
JHB
I think it would be much safer to remove the unit, take it back to the shop and explain the problem, if it is still within warrantee it will be replaced
Way easier, and Matt is only be running for couple of months.

But always something to consider, as most of the marine gear in South Africa is supplied with no earthing cables and connectors.
 

Mike

Retired Moderator
Joined
12 May 2007
Posts
7,859
Reaction score
31
Location
the Motherland
just as a point of order, should anyone else read this, using your finger to test for and electrical fault is probably not the very best way to do it:whistling:
 

Matt

Wrasse
Joined
5 Jan 2008
Posts
1,976
Reaction score
41
Location
JHB
LOL. Well I was actually just feeding my fish, but felt the current whilst doing so!
 

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Joined
28 Dec 2007
Posts
12,781
Reaction score
31
Location
JHB
just as a point of order, should anyone else read this, using your finger to test for and electrical fault is probably not the very best way to do it:whistling:
Be very careful, getting electrocute through seawater can be very dangerous due the higher conductivity of the water, compared to fresh water
 

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Joined
28 Dec 2007
Posts
12,781
Reaction score
31
Location
JHB
The are 12 -24v DC so I really don't see them been the culprit. Make sure you where something rubber when you do put your hand in the tank.

Oh, and I am not talking about using a condom that will not help, in this case.
WOW, if it 12-24 v won't make a difference. small tingle at most.
 

Top