Tunze Nano wavebox -Double wave or single wave.... That is the question!

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by williet, 8 Jul 2011.

1. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi All

I have recently got myself a secondhand Tunze Nano Wavebox.
    I am a bit confused I know on a 2 m I am streching it but after calculating I found my Volume only to be 660liters. So I think it will be ok. If I have it on its minimum, I have this awesome double wave the waves in both directions Horizontal and vertical. When I set it to 1o clock on the dial I get a single wave moving the volume of water uniformly left to right. Now my question Double wave or Single wave - which is better ???? From What I could see last night the single seems to have the polyps move more with it but has about a 1cm wave ? The double creates a crazy flow inside the tank 2 cm wave.

Please I need some help on this one ?

Cheers
    Willie

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. George

George Sponsor

Willie, it depends what you want to do with your wave, there is no better or worse. It also depends on what corals you have in the tank, as to what movement you need. Cheers Anita

4. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi !

I will be keeping mostly an SPS dominated tank.

Any Advise on a Double wave is does a single wave side ways and I do not know if it actually does anything then ?

5. Suhayl

Suhayl

The 2 metre tanks I seen in Bangkok had 2 waveboxes next to each other on the one side of the tank and man that made big waves.

6. Suhayl

Suhayl

Dont expect to big waves with your nano wavebox, single or double up to you what you prefer.

7. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Thanks guys Herewith an interesting article Source in link below

tunze wavebox seminar info

tunze wavebox seminar info
    info by Roger of Tunze USA!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I spent the last couple days at a seminar with Claude and Axel and I took notes and have the full scoop on the wavebox. Here is what we know.

The shorter the tank, the faster the frequency.

Frequency is fixed by resonance and cannot be adjusted- you can tune the frequency but for all but the longest tanks only one frequency is effective in producing a wave. In a tank over 2m a double wave is possible, in a tank over 4m a 4x wave is possible.

Here are the wave sizes at full power- amplitude can be adjusted on the driver that is common to all Tunze Electronic pumps and does not affect controller function at 100% the following is known dimensions are in cm, F is freq in seconds, w is wave height (crest to trough in mm)

70-50-50 F=.45s W=40
    100-70-70 F=.56 W=35
    120-70-60 F=.63 W=35
    150-100-60 F=.83 W=30
    180-100-60 F=.86 W=30
    220-80-50 F=1.10 W=25
    200-80-65 F=1.15 W=25

Round and Triangular tanks create an elliptical wave pattern.

Rock layout and corals effect resonance and adjustments have to be made every few months to accommodate coral growth.

The Pros of the wavebox are

In a 2m tank you can move 100,000l/h of water with 30w of power!
    The pressure and dynamic of the wave improves permeation in to the rock and sand bed improving bio function
    Detritus is almost non existant- no dead spots exist

Cons

On a old tank it could cause algae problems as the detritus and opening of the structure to flow will liberate phosphates and drop redox

Tank life is shortened by the dynamic load. We approximate a tank constructed to DIN standards looses 10-20% of it's life when all other assembly and installation is 100% correct. (Unfortunately the US has no standard system like the Deutches Institute Normalization but we can estimate that a well made name brand US tank will have a 15 year life and the wavebox will reduce that to 12 at most if all other instalation is correct-i.e. it is level and properly supported)

The flow is not exactly natural, the natural wave would be much longer but given the size of the device and ultimate in energy savings it is the best that can be accomplished and is the most natural flow available to hobbyists.

So, the ideal flow system now is two Electronic Streams on opposite ends back corner aimed to the front center glass and operated on interval mode 2 on multicontroller 7095 with changes in pump operation every 6hrs or so. The wave box is coordinated and shuts off at night. This flow is a 50% approximation of what exists in the ocean and the best accomplished yet by any means.

Some details for the controller 6091:

The unit can run three ways- one box connected to the multicontroller or two boxes independent and run synchronously (same side for bigger tanks) or Inverse where to boxes are run opposite on huge tanks to boost the flow. Maximum freq is 1.4 sec- any longer and the box prodouces bubbles.

That is all the info I have and that is direct from Claude Hug the developer and primary tester of the wavebox 6212.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
  8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

very interesting...

9. lIghty

lIghty

Just bear in mind, the higher the wave the more pressure it puts on the tank!

10. Yuri

Yuri

interesting read :thumbup:

Recent Posts